Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Discogs Median Value: Box Sets

      I generally don't buy box sets, unless they're on sale or used. While I'm a completist, I don't really need outtakes and alternate versions of songs. I've been holding out on the Revolver box because of the expense, even though I would actually like the alternate version of "Rain". So anyhow, my collection of box sets is a mixed bag of acquisitions. 

1. Dio - A Decade of Dio ( $258.33 )

     This set includes Dio's albums from 1983-93. Mine is a cut-out that I won for free from the Record Den in an online contest. So, the price was right. I won because I commented that Dio is my favorite metal frontman, which is true. I still haven't listened to all the records, yet. I just keep listening to Holy Diver and Last in Line. I need to rectify that situation soon.

2. Goo Goo Dolls - Pickpockets, Petty Thieves and Tiny Victories ( $150.00 )

     This set includes their first five albums. Goo Goo Dolls are one of my guilty pleasures. This was a Record Store Day release, but I held out until it was marked down and I had a gift certificate. 

3. Cheap Trick - The Classic Albums ( $144.96 )

     This set spans from the debut album to Dream Police and also has At Budokan. I probably own more copies and formats of Budokan than any other record in my collection. I fell in love with it when I was a kid and it's still my favorite live album. I also have O.G. copies of all these albums, but the set is awesome and pristine. 

4. Guided by Voices - Suitcase 3 ( $138.29 )

     This collection is the highest valued CD I own. 

5. The Flaming Lips - Heady Nuggs ( $132.39 )

     I don't actually own this box set, but Discogs insists that I do. Record Den broke up a box set and sold it as individual records. I bought some of them, entered them into my Discogs account, and now I supposedly own it. 

6. Triumph - Allied Forces 40th Anniversary ( $131.39 )

     This is a fantastic box set to commemorate a great album. It was a Record Store Day release and I ponied up for it. Worth every penny. 

7. The Beatles - The Beatles ( $117.50 )

     This CD box set was a birthday gift from my parents. It's the 2009 remasters of all the UK albums in a glossy, black box with the apple on it. Beautiful packaging. 

8. Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet - Oh, I Guess We Were a Fucking Surf Band After All ( $109.00 )

     I got in line at midnight to get this set for Record Store Day. Record Den only received one copy and I had to have it. There was only one guy ahead of me, and luckily it wasn't on his radar. They are a great band, but are only semi-famous because the Kids in the Hall used their song "Having an Average Weekend" for their theme. 

9. Various - Manchester, North of England ( $103.58 )

     This CD box covers the Manchester indie music scene from 1977-93. Lots of amazing bands included in this set. 

10. Various - Children of Nuggets ( $77.96 )

     Great psych rock collection that covers the years 1976-96. This was a marked down, cut-out. The first track is a Dukes of Stratosphear ( XTC ) song. It includes many Sound Mind favorites, such as, Teenage Fanclub, The Hoodoo Gurus, The Dream Syndicate, The Soft Boys and The Smithereens. It also has the song "I Helped Patrick McGoohan Escape" by The Times. Really cool set. Peace.



No comments:

Post a Comment