Sunday, June 9, 2024

Guided by Voices: Tremblers and Goggles by Rank ( 2022 )

     Guided by Voices second album of 2022 is the absurdly titled Tremblers and Goggles by Rank. By the band's standards, this is an extremely tight 10-song set, overtly informed by The Who. This is most evident on the de facto title track, "Goggles by Rank". Chronologically, following It's Not them and Crystal Nun Cathedral, it seems like a step backwards. Considering they focused on just 10 songs it seems more uneven than its immediate predecessors. An album this short should have no room for a song like "Cartoon Fashion (Bongo Lake). This track marks the return of Uncle Bob's goofy vocal deliveries and musical shenanigans. Having said that, TAGBR is a solid album and I'm rating it 3.5 stars. 

     The single "Alex Bell" illustrates the lack of focus on Tremblers and Goggles by Rank. The title evokes Big Star, but there's no Alex Chilton or Chris Bell influence to be found. It has two distinct sections, which are both pretty good, interrupted by Pollard repeating the line "Walking down Alex Bell" multiple times. It takes the listener out of the song. However, the last section of the track is the highlight. The other single is the lead track, "Lizard on the Red Brick Wall". It's good, but not particularly hooky or memorable. For me, the standout track is "Goggles by Rank". It's eerily "I Can See for Miles" adjacent. It's the one song where everything comes together. Kevin March kicks it off with his best Keith Moon moves. Gillard and Bare Jr. pay homage to Pete Townshend in their power and reserve. Pollard's vocals and lyrics are at their best. 

     The rest of the album is filled out with solid songs that fail to stay with you once you take the record off the turntable. It makes me want to go back and listen to Crystal Nun Cathedral or jump ahead to Welshpool Frillies. Like I said, I have it at 3.5, but I would say it's a low 3.5 and almost a 3.0. Now, that's in the context of this lineup's albums. It's still way better than most records in 2022. 

     Just a quick update about my collection. I am making my triumphant return to Jerry's Records in Pittsburgh with my friends Mike and Dave in a couple weeks. I haven't been since 2013. That's crazy! I will publish a post about it at that time. Hopefully, I can find some Charo this time. Peace.



No comments:

Post a Comment