Monday, June 24, 2024

Jerry's Records 2024

      This past Saturday, me and my friends Mike and Dave made the pilgrimage, once again, to Jerry's Records in Pittsburgh. This time we also stopped at Attic Records, which had an amazing selection. Unfortunately, I blew my budget and had to leave a copy of Miles Davis' Nefertiti behind. Still, I made some great pickups and found a grail. One quick note before I reveal my selections. I dropped my laptop and the screen is broken, so my only way to post is on my phone, which I hate. I'm doing it for this post and I will finish the Guided by Voices dive, but I may not post after that until I get a new laptop or something. Anyhow, here are my picks. The first six are from Jerry's and the last three are from Attic.

Miles Davis- Miles Smiles. This was my big splurge of the trip. Like the Pickers say, "The time to buy it is when you see it." It was in great condition and it is Miles' great Second Quintet. Had I known I would find Nefertiti at Attic I might have held off, but I love Miles Smiles too. 

Mott the Hopple - All the Young Dudes. I've been picking up a lot of Mott and Ian Hunter lately and I couldn't pass up on a VG+ version of All the Young Dudes. I've been holding out for a nice copy for quite some time. 

Hoodoo Gurus - Mars Needs Guitars. I took a flyer on this because I love their 1984 album, Stoneage Romeos, but I've never heard this one. Dave said it's almost as good, so it should be fine. I'll check it out tomorrow on my day off. 

Joe Jackson - Look Sharp. I basically got this to have a nice copy for listening to "Is She Really Going Out With Him?" I'm sure the rest of it is great too. 

YES - Going For the One. One of my favorite YouTubers, Andy Edwards is always going on about this album. I found a promo copy for radio stations that was cheap and in good condition, so I jumped on it. 

April Wine - Live at the El Mocambo. This is a live recording of a  Canadian show where they opened for The Rolling Stones. I have been on a mission to pick up some old April Wine, so I was thrilled to find this. Unfortunately, my budget constraints forced me to pass up on a copy of Stand Back. 

Tommy Keene - Songs From the Film. Really jacked to have found this in the wild. This is the album that features "Places That Are Gone". Tommy was the best. R.I.P.

Esquivel- Other Worlds Other Sounds. I've also been on the lookout for any Esquivel. This is a limited edition, audiophile reissue that I got for $20. Pretty happy about that. I'd still like to find some O.G. copies in the wild. 

Charo- Cuchi Cuchi. This was my grail find. I've been looking for this forever. Attic Records even had another Charo record, but I left it behind due to my budget. I can't believe I finally found it. This was the capper to a great trip with great friends. Peace.





 


 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment