Wednesday, July 31, 2024

2004 Deep Dive: Top 40 Songs

      OK, I'm doing 40 songs so this will be a long one. I love multiple songs from some of these albums, as well as many songs from albums that didn't make my Top 20. I don't know where Sound Mind is going after this post. I'm in a time squeeze and have nothing in particular to focus on. The Patreon group I'm in is doing a 1969 deep dive next, but that's probably a couple months away. I'm also a little burnt out on deep dives. I may try to circle back on revisiting some of my crappy old posts and re-imagine them. Time will tell. Peace.

1. Clubfoot - Kasabian

     This song is a banger and the bass is killer.

2. Ocean Breathes Salty - Modest Mouse

     Love the guitars on this and the lyrics are delightful. "For your sake I hope Heaven and Hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath".

3. Everybody Thinks I'm a Raincloud - Guided by Voices

     This is my personal theme song. It should be playing in the background like I'm a TV character. "This is not my day and nobody really cares anymore, anyhow. Nobody called again cuz they say that I'm to lazy to stay alive", 

4. Miracle Drug - AC Newman

     My favorite new discovery. 

5. Decent Days and Nights - The Futureheads

     My second favorite new discovery. "If the least you can do is show some restraint, then the most you can do is get carried away".

6. Criminal Piece - Ted Leo and the Pharmacists

     Very scrappy and jangly. Kinda sounds like a Superchunk song.

7. Huffman Prairie Flying Field - Guided by Voices

     Gorgeous pop gem featuring a guest appearance by Tobin Sprout. "If that is what you want to hear, then that's what I will sell you". 

8. I.D. - Kasabian

     The trippy keyboard intro is brilliant. "No one else is here, but I can't get a sense of nothing".

9. Girls of Wild Strawberries - Guided by Voices

     Another beautiful pop gem. "Undelivered sermons to the sea". 

10. L.S.F. - Kasabian  

     The chorus is FIRE!

11. All Because of You - U2

     I love Bono's vocals in the chorus. I also love up-tempo, high energy U2. 

12. When the Fool Becomes a King - The Polyphonic Spree

     EPIC! "Love the life you choose". 

13. Float On - Modest Mouse

     The main guitar riff is fantastic. 

14. Take Me Out - Franz Ferdinand

     It was the biggest rock song of 2004 for a reason. 

15. Slow Hands - Interpol

     This song is a straight-up jam. "You make me want to pick up a guitar".

16. Rebellion - Arcade Fire

     I love this song, but hate that it spawned a ton of shit bands. I wish more of their songs were like this.

17. Here Comes Everybody - Autolux

     The transition from the breathy vocals at the beginning to the bombastic chorus is sublime. "Sha-la-la". 

18. C'mon C'mon - The Von Bondies

     A garage revival classic. The album doesn't hold up but this song is still great. 

19. Vertigo - U2

     "Hello, hello, hola". 

20. 10 A.M. Automatic - The Black Keys

     Not a big fan of this band or album, but this track is very White Stripes adjacent. 

21. Pretty - Elliott Smith

     Gorgeous. It makes me wish John Lennon and George Harrison had started a band together after The Beatles broke up. It probably would have sounded like this.

22. American Idiot - Green Day

     This song is still a great jam. "One nation controlled by the media". 

23. Ride - The Vines

     Another album that doesn't hold up, but I still love this song.  

24. Mason City - The Fiery Furnaces

     I can't put into words what I love about this song. You'll have to listen to it. It's simple, yet complicated.

25. Woman's Prison - Loretta Lynn

     What a heartbreakingly, beautiful song. Legend!

26. C'mere - Interpol

     Interpol really knows how to get a great guitar sound. 

27. Wake Up - Arcade Fire

     See my comments for "Rebellion". 

28. Robots in the Garden - Autolux

     Fun, drum-driven, stop and start song. And there are fucking robots in the garden. 

29. Catherine Dupree - Will Johnson

     My favorite songwriter all stripped down. 

30. The Day John Henry Died - Drive by Truckers

     I never got into these guys, but this song has a nice, classic rock feel. 

31, All They Ever Do Is Talk - Earlimart

     A brooding, Smashing Pumpkins adjacent track. 

32. Closets of Henry - Guided by Voices

     Jangly in the verse and a soaring chorus. Classic Bob. 

33. Coast to Coast - Elliott Smith 

     More of a rocker with Steven Drozd on drums.

34. Portland, Oregon - Loretta Lynn

     Nice mash up of Loretta and Jack White.

35. Tour Guide at the Winston Churchill Memorial - Guided by Voices

     Nice, mid-tempo song with a great vocal performance by Uncle Bob.

36. The Good Times Are Killing Me - Modest Mouse

     Wacky collaboration with The Flaming Lips. 

37. Shadows of Tomorrow - Madvillain

     This could change when I know the album better, but this one stood out.

38. A Long Day Continues/We Sound Amazed - The Polyphonic Spree

     Beautifully picks up where the first album left off. Quite Abbey Road-esque. 

39. Guinnesses - MF DOOM

     Love the grooves and flow. 

40. Winners and Losers - Social Distortion

     I need to check out more Social D. Really like this one. 




     

     

     

     

         

        

No comments:

Post a Comment