Sunday, July 7, 2024

Kasabian: Happenings ( 2024 )

     There was a time that I would have been counting down the days to a new Kasabian release. Their new album, Happenings, was released Friday and I had completely forgotten it was coming out. If I wasn't a member of a discord group that updates new albums every week I still wouldn't know Happenings existed. So, pleasant surprise for me. I've listened a few times, and my initial reaction is I like it better than 2022's The Alchemist's Euphoria, but it's not at the level of Kasabian's prior work. I have it rated at 3-stars. 

     I've previously posted about the turmoil within Kasabian over the past several years, so I won't rehash that here. Suffice it to say the band has moved in a different direction on their last two albums with new frontman Sergio Pizzorno. While their new sound ,which is more electronic, is fine, I prefer their earlier menacing, brash, laddish rock style. Either way, Kasabian excels as a live band. Apart from their 2004 self-titled debut, Kasabian has had a difficult time capturing their live energy in the studio. I've seen the band live with Sergio and their original frontman, Tom Meighan, and both shows were amazing. In fact, the show with Meighan is the best concert I've ever seen. Kasabian has a handful of songs that are fun, audience participation moments during live shows that involve dropping the beat. On Happenings, there is a track called "Call" which is written expressly to be one of those songs, but it doesn't translate in the studio. It lacks live energy. 
     
     My lack of interest in this album was partly due to the advanced single, "Algorithms", which is light weight. However, there are a few strong tracks on Happenings, especially "G.O.A.T.". It's the most melodic song on the album and features the best lyrics. It even runs out with a solid guitar solo. "How Far Will You Go" is a quick hitting banger. The album opener,"Darkest Lullaby", is a throwback to the For Crying Out Loud album. "Passengers" is another strong track that is more rock-centric. "Hell of It" has a synth section that sounds like Manchester Prog band HENGE, so that's kind of fun. Overall, Happenings is a good album that fails to live up to the highs of earlier Kasabian records. 

     The timing of this release coincides with my 2004 Deep Dive, which will prominently feature the Kasabian debut album. It's crazy that it has been 20 years since I first heard "Clubfoot". I'm not making much headway on that dive, but I'll try to keep posting on a regular basis in the meantime. Peace.



     
 

No comments:

Post a Comment