Sunday, October 6, 2013

Yuck: Glow & Behold

     Little did I know when I was using the urinal next to Max Bloom at the Grog Shop that I was taking a whiz next to the future lead singer of Yuck. And as much as I'd like this post to not be all about Yuck changing lead singers, it probably will be. It's not like bands changing lead singers is unprecedented. Phil Collins replaced Peter Gabriel. Dio replaced Ozzy. The Red Rocker replaced DLR. Shit happens. However, Yuck only had one album under their belt and Daniel Blumberg's departure came out of nowhere. I was pleasantly surprised when I read that the remaining members of the band were going to carry on as Yuck and were working on a new album. That album, Glow & Behold, came out last week. Naturally, I rushed out and bought the CD, as well as a limited edition (# 352/500) vinyl copy. I've only been able to listen to it three times, so far, but I have some early impressions.
     The first time I listened to Yuck's debut album it was obvious they were informed by 90's indie rock. That's the Dinosuar Jr. track. That's the Teenage Fanclub track. That's the Pavement track. That's the Yo La Tengo track. Yet they managed to internalize their influences and create songs that weren't derivative. On the new album, they seem to be working toward developing their own sound. Other than the title track sounding like "the Teenage Fanclub track", their influences weren't as up front this time around. Well, my favorite track, "Middle Sea", does have a Superchunk vibe, but it's not blatant.
     Yuck's debut album made a powerful statement right off the bat with the track "Get Away". It was a loud, catchy guitar rocker. In contrast, the new album begins with a cinematic instrumental, "Sunrise In Maple Shade", that sounds like the soundtrack to Blumberg packing up his gear and walking away from the band. They follow that up with a nice, breezy track "Out Of Time". The one thing I like so far is Mariko Doi's backing vocals. She is quite Bilinda Butcher-y.
     Sound Mind readers know I love Yuck's debut album and the subsequent singles like "Milkshake" that ended up on the deluxe edition. I honestly don't have the same love for Glow & Behold. That's not to say I don't like it, it's just not as strong as their debut. The guitars aren't as fuzzed out and I'll have to get used to Max on vocals. He's good when they're playing loud, but kind of bland when the vocal is carrying the song. I hope as they tour he gains confidence as a lead singer and develops some vocal chops. It will help that they recently added a new guitarist, Ed Hayes, to allow Max to concentrate on singing. And they claim Ed's better than Jimi Hendrix, so no pressure:) I am looking forward to their forthcoming US tour announcement and will be going to see them if they come anywhere near Cleveland.
     Finally, here's a heads up on some upcoming releases that I'm anxiously awaiting. Peace.

* Martha's Ferry Vineyards- Mass. Grave: They have a song, "Ramon & Sage" that's awesome. Comes out Oct 15th.

* Popstrangers- "Rats In The Palm Trees" 7": comes out Nov. 5th.

* Ghost Wave- Ages: It's out but I haven't found it yet. May have to order it because they're on Flying Nun.

* Connections- Body Language: It's already out, but I'll have to order it. They are from Columbus, Ohio and sound like GbV. They really do, I'm not just saying that because they're from Ohio.

No comments:

Post a Comment