Saturday, April 6, 2013

Lemonheads: It's A Shame About Ray

     It's A Shame About Ray is one of my all-time favorite albums. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's Top Ten.
I don't have a story about when I first heard it or how it affected me personally, but I was reminded of how I missed seeing them play the album in it's entirety on October 19th, 2011. The Lemonheads were doing an It's A Shame About Ray Tour and there was a date in Akron. Awesome, I'm there. I was about to start working on my wife to get her to go with me, because that's the easiest way to get permission to go to a concert. Yes, I'm 48 and I need permission from my wife to go to a concert. Anyway, I started out asking "Hey, remember the Lemonheads?" She didn't. I started playing It's A Shame About Ray in the car. "It's O.K." was all she said. This wasn't going well. I was about to just tell her I was going when I received a Ticketmaster alert that Duran Duran was coming to Cleveland...October 19th, 2011. Nooooooooooo!!! For a brief moment I considered not telling her about Duran Duran, but I couldn't do it. Needless to say, we saw Duran Duran. That was the first concert I've been to where they solicit texts from people in the crowd and show them on a screen. It was appalling. Every other text was "Simon will you marry me?" It was a fantastic show though.
     If it weren't for "Sparky's Dream" and "Star Sign" by Teenage Fanclub, "It's A Shame About Ray" would be the most flawless song in pop music history. Every chord change is perfect. Dando's vocal delivery is perfect. The lyrics are great. I especially like the line: "if I make it through today, I'll know tomorrow not to leave my feelings out on display." And Juliana Hatfield does backing vocals. By the way, Juliana Hatfield did an amazing cover of The Who's "My Wife". It's probably on Youtube if you're interested.
     I have the version of It's A Shame About Ray that has the raved up cover of "Mrs. Robinson" and where "Drug Buddy" was change to "Buddy". One of these days I'm going to try to track down a copy of the original release. Anyway, I love this album. In his book, Perfect From Now On, John Sellers has a term for perfect albums. He calls them a dinger. To me, It's A Shame About Ray is a dinger. I particularly like the songs that are a little bit country, such as, "The Turnpike Down" and "Hannah & Gabi". "Hannah & Gabi" is probably my second favorite song on the album. I love the pedal steel and the lyrics are beautiful. My favorite line on the album is from the song "Alison's Starting To Happen" : "she's the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete." And there are several drug songs. That's the only thing that makes me hesitate recommending it to my kids, but I still do.
     I also have Come On Feel The Lemonheads, which I don't recommend as much. It starts out promisingly with "The Great Big No" and "Into Your Arms", but quickly unravels. Apparently, Evan Dando was going through some heavy stuff when this album was made. Twenty years ago, I thought "Being Around" was kinda clever, but even that hasn't aged well ("if I was a booger would you blow your nose?"). Most of the album is a 10 car pileup. That being said, I think Evan Dando is a great talent and someday I'll explore the rest of his catalog. And if Lemonheads come to this area again I am going to see them...if my wife gives me permission. All of a sudden I feel like listening to The Who:) Peace.    


No comments:

Post a Comment