Thursday, January 17, 2013

Tobin Sprout

     If you're familiar with this blog, you know I'm a GbV fan. I've already posted about their best songs and their releases from 2012. Today I thought I'd tackle Tobin Sprout's solo and side project material since it's less daunting than Robert Pollard's catalog. I don't own as much Tobin Sprout as I'd like, because it's hard to find. I have Moonflower Plastic, Live at the Horseshoe Tavern, Lost planets & Phantom Voices and The Bluebirds of Happiness Tried to Land on My Shoulder. I don't like ordering things online, so that limits my collection. I also have two cds from his side project Eyesinweasel; Wrinkled Thoughts and Live in the Middle East. Before I give my recommendations, I'd like to give a little background about Tobin.
     He has an unusal role in GbV. On one hand, he is the George Harrison of the group. He writes great songs, but only gets a few on an album. Pollard, of course, is the Lennon AND McCartney. Not that there's anything wrong with that. On the other hand, he is like McCartney in that he tends to write mainly "pop" songs, whereas Pollard is more of a risk taker musically. Anyhow, the great thing about his solo albums is that you get a bunch of his songs instead of three or four. He is also an author and artist and lives in a quiet town in Northern Michigan.
     My favorite Tobin Sprout album is Moonflower Plastic. It was released by Matador Records in 1997 and features many of his best songs. In fact, here's my list of favorite Tobin Sprout songs, the first five being from Moonflower Plastic.

* Get Out of My Throat
* Paper Cut
* Beast of Souls
* All Used Up (all-time fav)
* Hit Junky Dives (possibly about GbV's breakup, in my opinion)
* Crawling Backward Man
* The Last Man Well Known to Kingpin
* To My Beloved Martha
* Inside the Blockhouse ( the Live at the Horseshoe Tavern version)
* Slow Flanges
* E's Navy Blue



     Of the live albums, I like the set from the Horseshoe, but the energy is better on the Eyesinweasel show. The great thing about the live albums is that there are several GbV songs, as well. I have to confess that I've only listened to Lost Planets and Bluebirds once each, so I don't have opinions on them yet. Tobin Sprout is truly one of the geniuses of power pop songcraft, along the line of Tommy Keene, who I may post about in the future. I hope my kids give him a listen. I promise I'll take on Pollard, but it might not be for awhile. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment