Saturday, January 26, 2013

Uncle Tupelo: Still Feel Gone

     When Uncle Tupelo released their debut album, No Depression, in 1990 the genre of alt-country was officially created. Well, it wasn't official at the time, but it was. The title track was a cover of an old Carter Family song. In 1995, a magazine was started that covered alt-country and was named No Depression. Of course, there were influential artists that paved the way for alt-country; the Carters, Woody Guthrie, Gram Parsons, Michael Nesmith, Steve Earle and R.E.M. I would also contend that Neil Young and Crazy Horse were a major influence, especially the song "Powderfinger". I'll post about Neil Young another time, though. I've mentioned before that I grew up on Hee Haw and my dad's country music 8 tracks, which is probably why I've been drawn to this genre.
     For me, Uncle Tupelo is like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. It's an awesome combination of chocolate (Jay Farrar) and peanut butter (Jeff Tweedy). Separately they are alright, but together they are fantastic. I don't really know why they broke up, but they were much better together. I know that's blasphemy, because everybody loves them some Wilco. Don't get me wromg, I have the first two Wilco albums and they're alright, but I don't like them as much as Uncle Tupelo. And I don't even own any Son Volt. I guess my thing with Wilco is that they are to Uncle Tupelo what Kenny Chesney is to Merle Haggard. Wilco can put all the bangos and dobros and mandolins and pedal steel guitars they want on an album, but it doesn't sound authentic. It sounds like marketing. That said, I do like a few songs from those Wilco albums like "Box Full of Letters", "Shouldn't Be Ashamed", "Passenger Side" and "Outta Mind (Outta Sight)". I would recommend that my kids listen to them and decide for themselves. Anyway, back to Uncle Tupelo.
     I own Still Feel Gone and 89/93 An Anthology and I strongly recommend both of them. Still Feel Gone opens with the track "Gun" which has the great line: my heart, it was a gun /but it's unloaded / so don't bother. Other standout tracks are "Still Be Around", "Watch Me Fall" and "If That's Alright". My copy also has some bonus tracks. My favorite is "Sauget Wind" (also on the anthology), which has the line: the weatherman says "fair", but he looks like a lie / nothing's free in this country and there's no place to hide no more. There is also a fabulous cover of the Soft Boys' "I Wanna Destroy You". The anthology also has a couple stellar tracks from Anodyne, "The Long Cut" and "Chickamauga", which are probably my two favorite Uncle Tupelo songs. I plan on buying the rest of their albums in the near future. Hopefully at least one of my kids inherits my alt-country gene.
     On the future cd release front there is some good news. Guided by Voices (stunner) and Flaming Lips have new albums coming out this spring. Plus there's the new Bowie and MBV to look forward to. The best news, however, is that Captured Tracks has a deal with Flying Nun to reissue a ton of old Flying Nun albums. Please see my post on Flying Nun and you'll know how exciting this is to me. Peace.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment