Saturday, January 12, 2013

My Rolling Stones Resolution

      When I told my childhood friend about this blog, he recommended that I watch a Rolling Stones documentary called Crossfire Hurricane. I didn't tell him, but I've never been a fan of Mick and the boys. Something about them never appealed to me. Maybe it was Mick's herky jerky dance moves, which have recently been immortalized by that jackass from Maroon 5. Maybe it was his goofy mugging for the camera. Maybe it's because I don't get the whole Keith Richards thing. Look at me, I'm a degenerate druggy and I'll outlive all y'alls. Maybe it's Charlie Watts' deadpan expression. Maybe it's that Ron Wood used to be in a band with Rod Stewart. Maybe it's because I hate "Paint It Black" and "Sympathy For The Devil". Maybe it's loyalty to The Beatles. Whatever it was, I've never been a fan. In fact, I had never owned anything by them until last year when I bought Some Girls. I bought it because it has "Shattered", which is my favorite Stones song. I've even made the contrarian claim that of the British Invasion bands they rank not only behind The Beatles and The Who, but The Kinks and Zombies. What can I say, I love The Zombies. I've even argued that The Beatles version of "I Wanna Be Your Man" is far superior, even though they let Ringo do it as a toss off. In short, I've been a real jerk about the Rolling Stones. But no more. I'm tired of being a hater. One of my musical resolutions this year is to give the Stones a chance.
     Maybe I'll watch that documentary. Maybe I'll start with a Greatest Hits collection. Maybe I'll try listening to Exile on Main Street. I do already like a few songs, and they are:

* Shattered
* Respectable
* Brown Sugar
* Gimme Shelter
* Jumpin' Jack Flash
* It's Only Rock and Roll
* Start Me Up
* Satisfaction
* When The Whip Comes Down
* Honky Tonk Women

     That's almost a whole album's worth already. I'll keep you updated on my progress throughout the year and make recommendations to my kids when needed. Wish me luck. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment