Tuesday, January 8, 2013

David Bowie

     Today is David Bowie's 66th birthday and he has given the world a terrific gift. He released a new single today entitled "Where Are We Now?" and Columbia Records announced that he'll be releasing his 30th studio album, Next Day, on March 12th in the US. No tour plans were announced, but keep hope alive. You may remember from a previous post that Bowie is the one person I've never seen live that I wish I could still see perform. Anyhow, it's great that he is still writing and recording after a nine year hiatus. In light of this announcement, I decided to do my David Bowie post today.
     I don't want to spend this post rehashing Bowie's career since that has been done to death. Most people are aware that over the years his look and sound have constantly evolved. I'll stick to the premise of my blog and discuss my collection and make recommendations to my kids for when it becomes their collection. I'll admit up front that I like certain manifestations of Bowie more than others. The albums that are in my wheelhouse are Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane and Diamond Dogs. When I first heard this music on the radio, I was a kid growing up in rural Michigan. This was before MTV and cable television so I didn't know what he looked like other than seeing his album covers at the store. Had I seen him in his Ziggy Stardust costumes before I heard his music I may have been put off. I'd like to think that the music would still have gotten through to me. The Jean Genie. Ziggy Stardust. Life on Mars. Rebel Rebel. Changes. Starman. Watch That Man. Panic In Detroit. Hang On To Yourself. Diamond Dogs. Suffragette City. That is an amazing run of songs.
     Many of my friends, however, like the Berlin albums and Scary Monsters. Those aren't my favorites, but I acknowledge that they are great albums as well. My favorite is Aladdin Sane. I also like Let's Dance and the song "Blue Jean" is another of my guilty pleasures. I also liked the first Tin Machine album with "Under the God". He lost me for awhile, but I liked his last two albums, Heathen and Reality. I would recommend that my kids listen to Best of Bowie, Ziggy Stardust and Aladdin Sane at a minimum. I have noticed that when I have VH1 Classic on and they play a Bowie video, my son is mesmorized. I hope that's a good sign.
     Since my favorite Bowie manifestation is during the Glam period, I thought I'd recommend some albums from other Glam artists that are in my collection.

     * Sweet- Best Of
     * Sweet- Desolation Boulevard
     * T Rex- Electric Warrior (great hand clap album with Jeepster and Bang a Gong)
     * Mott the Hoople- All the Young Dudes

     Happy Birthday David Bowie! And thanks for the awesome gift. Peace.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment