Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Money Man

     I've loved Eddie Money's music since he debuted with "Two Tickets To Paradise", "Baby Hold On" and "Wanna Be A Rock & Roll Star". It was an FM radio staple and was also played on the 1979 kids entertainment show, Hot Hero Sandwich. Despite his odd appearance and herky jerky body movements, he was also successful during the early MTV era. The same could not be said for many homely 70's bands, such as Blue Oyster Cult. I love the song "Burning For You", but their appearance in the video was a career killer. I've also enjoyed his recent pop culture revival. First he was featured in a Geico commercial running a travel agency where, unfortunately, his customers needed four tickets and had no interest in Paradise. These minor details did not prevent him from singing the song anyway. In fact, this commercial was so popular Ed Reed of the Super Bowl Champion Baltimore Ravens sang "Two Tickets To Paradise" during their celebration. Currently, his song "We Should Be Sleeping" is featured in a mattress commercial. Well played Money Man.
     The keys to Eddie Money's success were his infectious choruses and the muscular guitar playing of Jimmy Lyon. I defy anyone to listen to "Take Me Home Tonight" or "I Wanna Go Back" and not sing along with the chorus. "Take Me Home Tonight" was his biggest hit and featured Ronnie Spector, great sax playing and Jimmy Lyon doing his best Rick Springfield inspired guitar riffing. My wife had suggested I do a post called "Life According To Eddie Money", but as usual I was too lazy and time strapped to go to those lengths for The Money Man. It was a great idea though. Maybe I'll take a crack at it in the future. 
     For some reason, I've never seen Eddie Money live even though for many years he opened the Summer season at Pine Knob (then DTE) in Detroit. The only things I own by him are the CD, The Best Of Eddie Money and Life For The Taking on vinyl. Besides the songs I've already mentioned, the best of  also has hits like "Shakin", "Walk On Water", "Think I'm In Love", "Rock And Roll The Place", "Trinidad", "No Control" and "Where's The Party?". Life For The Taking has two of my favorite Eddie Money songs, "Can't Keep A Good Man Down" and "Gimme Some Water". The first is a great rocker and a good hand clap song. "Gimme Some Water" is a fantastic track in the great tradition of "on the run" songs. Here's my list of best "On The Run" songs.

1) Bohemian Rhapsody- Queen
2) Gimme Some Water- Eddie Money
3) Band On The Run- Wings
4) Renegade-Styx
5) Ride Like The Wind- Christopher Cross
6) Gallow's Pole- Led Zeppelin
7) Banditos- The Refreshments
8) Take The Money And Run- Steve Miller Band
9) Jail Break- AC/DC
10) Jail Break- Thin Lizzy

     Sorry, no "Dead Or Alive" by Bon Jovi. Anyhow, I recommend my kids check out The Money Man. He should also be in the Rock Hall. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment