Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Gin Blossoms: New Miserable Experience

     I am not too proud or hipster-y to admit that I love 90's mainstream alternative music, especially Gin Blossoms. In the 90's, I was too busy being a new father and working and trying to keep my first marriage together to have a clue about Neutral Milk Hotel or My Bloody Valentine. I thought I was on the cutting edge of musical taste listening to Better Than Ezra, Goo Goo Dolls, Oasis and Smashing Pumpkins. Now don't get me wrong, I still love those bands...yes even the Goo Goo Dolls. In retrospect, however,  I wish I had spent more time going to shows and investigating new music. It ended up taking a decade before I discovered the music of Jeff Mangum and Kevin Shields.
     All that being said, I love the Gin Blossoms. A few years ago, my wife and I went to see them at Cain Park in Cleveland. Neither of us had seen them before and she was jazzed because Tonic were opening for them. I didn't really care about Tonic, but it did allow the tour to be named The Gin and Tonic Tour. Very clever:) Anyhow, there was a considerable delay for Tonic to begin their set. Eventually it was announced that they had experienced a travel delay and Gin Blossoms would be performing shortly. Apparently, this threw them off their game, because they sounded horrible. The bass was way up front in the mix and you could barely hear the vocals or guitars. I was disappointed, but I understood the situation and tried to enjoy their show. Oddly enough, when Tonic finally arrived and played their set it was flawless. I only knew a couple of their songs, but they were outstanding. Wow...so far this post hasn't been a ringing endorsement of the Gin Blossoms. Let's turn that around and consider New Miserable Experience.
     New Miserable Experience, inexplicably, ruled the radio airwaves in 1993 during the height of the Grunge movement. The album was anchored by the jangly, power pop hits "Hey Jealousy" and "Found Out About You" which were a refreshing change from Soundgarden and Pearl Jam. Not only were they great rock songs, but the lyrics were fantastic.

"Tell me do you think it'd be alright if I could just crash here tonight. You can see I'm in shape for driving and anyway I've get no place to go."

"Tomorrow we can drive around this town and let the cops chase us around. The past is gone but something might be found to take it's place."

"Did you love me only in my head?"

"Whispers at the bus stop. I heard about nights out in the school yard. Found out about you."

To me, New Miserable Experience is nearly a perfect album. There's not one bad song on it. I highly recommend it to my kids, as well as, Congratulations I'm Sorry. Released in 1996, it featured the song "Follow You Down". I do not advocate the use of harmonica in rock music (with a few exceptions like The Beatles and Midnight Oil), but "Follow You Down" uses this relic of the folk music scene to great effect. I also have Major Lodge Victory, but have only listened to it once right before we went to their show.
     Just a heads up on the Sound Mind front. I'm having hernia surgery Thursday, so I'll either have lots of time to write posts or I'l feel like crap and not post much. The annoying thing is I was supposed to have it today, so I didn't buy tickets to see Wire at the Beachland tomorrow night. Turns out I could have gone. Maybe I'll try to get in, since it will probably be my only chance to ever see them live. Peace.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment