Thursday, July 11, 2013

Sound Mind Rock And Roll Hall of Fame

     I received a Member's email from the Rock Hall today, which included a feature about Colin Blunstone and Rod Argent of The Zombies visiting on July 1st. Awesome, a visit to the Rock Hall from two distinguished, well-deserving past inductees. Oh wait... it turns out they aren't past inductees. You see, when I went to look up what year they were inducted I discovered they weren't. No, really, The Zombies aren't in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. How did I not know that? How is that possible? I don't mean to be a jerk, especially after Rush finally got in, but come on.
     A couple weeks ago, I mentioned that I would do a post on the Sound Mind Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, so today seemed like an appropriate day in light of this Zombies realization. What I'll do is list the artists and groups that are already in the actual Rock Hall, that I agree with, then list and discuss those who I feel should also be inducted. I will use the same criteria that the Rock Hall does in it's nominating process. By the way, I'm going there tomorrow to see Rush on the Inductee Wall. Peace.

The Animals, Beach Boys, Beastie Boys, The Beatles, Chuck Berry, Black Sabbath, David Bowie, James Brown, Jackson Browne, Buffalo Springfield, Byrds, Eddie Cochran, Elvis Costello and the Attractions, Cream (despite Eric Clapton), CCR, Dave Clark Five, The Doors, Bob Dylan (even though I can't stand his music), Duane Eddy, Ahmet Ertegun, Fleetwood Mac, Alan Freed, Genesis, Berry Gordy Jr., George Harrison, Buddy Holly, Jackson 5, Michael Jackson, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Elton John, Quincy Jones, The Kinks, Led Zeppelin, Leiber and Stoller, John Lennon, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, George Martin, Paul McCartney, John Mellencamp, Van Morrison, Roy Orbison, Parliament-Funkadelic, Les Paul, carl Perkins, Pink Floyd, The Police, Elvis Presley, Prince, Public Enemy, Queen, The Ramones, R.E.M., The Rolling Stones, The Ronettes, Rush, Sam and Dave, Simon & Garfunkel, Paul Simon, Bruce Springsteen, Steely Dan, The Supremes, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, U2, Ventures, Gene Vincent, The Who, Stevie Wonder, The Yardbirds, Neil Young and Frank Zappa.

*The Zombies- easily Top 5 British Invasion bands. Time of the Season. She's Not There. Tell Her No.
* Cheap Trick- Personality. Hits. Greatest live album during the live album era. Come On, Come On.
* KISS- Seriously, just put them in already.
* Yes- Greatest band of the Prog era and they had hits in the 80's as well.
* Dick Dale- King of Surf Guitar. Couldn't believe he's not in either.
* Bernie Taupin- He wrote the lyrics to all those amazing 70's Elton John songs. No brainer.
* Larry Williams- He wrote "Bad Boy", "Dizzy Miss Lizzy" and "Slow Down".
* Duran Duran- Do I even have to make a case for Simon and the Boys?
* Eddie Money- I know this is controversial, but his catalog is awesome.
* Midnight Oil- One of my favorite bands of all-time.
* The Smiths- I'm not a huge fan, but their legacy and influence is undeniable.
* B-52"s- This should also be a no-brainer.
* Big Star- If you don't know who they are please go listen to them.
* The Cars- Amazing blend of New Wave, Punk, Rock and Pop. You know you love them.
* Crowded House- Neil Finn is a songwriting genius. I'm not just throwing that around, he's a genius.
* Dinosaur Jr.- Top 3 Indie Rock band all-time.
* ELO- Once again, why are they not in?
* The Flaming Lips- Top 2 Indie Rock band all-time.
* Guided by Voices- #1 Indie Rock band all-time.
* The Monkees- They're in my rock hall all day.
* Pixies- Extremely influential, seminal band
* Husker Du- Ditto.
* Wire- Hello...Pink Flag!
* Deep Purple- I go back and forth with them, but Blackmore is amazing.
* Peter Gabriel- His solo career merits individual recognition.

No comments:

Post a Comment