Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Summertime And The Blogging Ain't Easy

     Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Summer. I've lived in the Midwest all my life and I cherish those few months when there's sunshine and everything is green. The problem is I'm having a hard time finding time to write. I began this blog last Fall as a way to make myself write on a regular basis. A couple weeks ago, I even started writing the introduction to a possible Sound Mind book. After 100 posts, I have a pretty good handle on how I want to format the book now. However, now that Summer is here my wife and kids are home all day, everyday. Gone are the days of having the house to myself for several hours at a time to write.
     I am reminded of Franz Kafka, who I consider to be a kindred spirit. In his letters, he frequently complained about the difficulties of trying to be a writer. Early in his career, he had a government job and was also expected to help out with family businesses. He resented these drags on his time and at one point resorted to writing during the night while everyone else was asleep. Later, when he was considering marriage with Felice Bauer, he worried that family life and children would end his dreams of writing as a career. He did manage to dodge that bullet, but the bulk of his writing was unfinished and published posthumously. After his engagement to Felice was called off by her, he decided to quit his job and move from Prague to Berlin to focus on his writing. Then World War I broke out and he cancelled his plans.
     Anyhow, that's how I'm starting to feel. I write my posts on a desktop that's plugged into a wall in our "office". I know, that's crazy talk. I don't have a laptop or tablet or anything portable, except a spiral notebook. I share the computer with my wife, who needs it for work purposes, which is limiting. When you factor in work, vacations, yard work and family time it doesn't leave much time for blog posting. I could write during the night, but my wife would get pissed off. The bottom line is I haven't worked on the book for two weeks and my posting has been sporadic at best. This will probably be the case all Summer, but I intend to find some time that I can still write on a semi-regular basis. Thanks in advance for your patience and I appreciate all the regular readers of Sound Mind. I have to go, my wife is nagging me about getting on the computer. Really, I'm not making it up for the post. Peace.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment