Monday, June 10, 2013

Weezer: Blue Album

     During my life, the evolution of how I've discovered music is as follows: radio, MTV, music mags, the internet. Weezer's Blue Album was the only time I was turned on to a CD by a kid. I was around 30 when a neighbor kid asked me if I liked Weezer. I loved the "Buddy Holly" video with Weezer edited into a Happy Days episode. However, I thought "Undone" and "Say It Ain't So" were plodding and boring, so I never bought the CD. He let me borrow his copy and I was converted. It was guitar rock written by insecure nerds. Rivers Cuomo sang about Dungeon Master guides and 12-sided die. He was paranoid about losing his girl to some jerky guy. In fact, the song "No One Else" continues a long tradition of songs with insecure protagonists trying to control a girl. It began with blues singers, continued with early rock (especially John Lennon) and on up to today. The chorus goes like this; "I want a girl who will laugh for no one else. When I'm away she puts her makeup on the shelf. When I'm away she never leaves the house. I want a girl who laughs for no one else".
     Within the context of the album, I even liked "Undone" and "Say It Ain't So". One of the great rock lyrics of all-time is "If you want to destroy my sweater, hold this thread as I walk away". There really are no horrible songs on the Blue Album, except maybe "Surf Wax America". The line "you take your car to work, I'll take my board" is preposterous. That song is like a bad sitcom that the network places between two good sitcoms hoping people won't change the channel. But I love "In The Garage". I love "Holiday". I love "The World Has Turned And Left Me Here". I love how he sings My name is Jonas at the end of "My Name Is Jonas".
     I know I'm kind of hipster-y, but I've never listened to Pinkerton. The only other Weezer CD I own is the Green Album. Like the Blue Album, it was produced by Ric Ocasek but it's just not as good. I only bought it because I like the song "Hash Pipe". I can't understand most of the lyrics, but I think he says "Trix are for kids" and rhymes hash pipe with either eyes wide, ass wide or ass wipe. Either way it's all good. I won't rehash Weezer's history, but as they became more famous their songs grew more out of touch with their nerd origins. I don't want to hear about them wanting to live in Beverly Hills. I don't want to watch videos with Muppets or the Playboy Mansion. I let myself get excited when they were going to release the Red Album. I hoped it might be a return to their old form. "Pork And Beans" soon dashed my hopes. I really don't need to listen to someone younger than me whine about getting old.
     I hate to be that guy again, but I really don't like anything Weezer put out after the Blue Album. Therefore, I only recommend the Blue Album for my kids to check out. Maybe some day I'll get around to listening to Pinkerton and recommend that as well. Or maybe not. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment