Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Pink Floyd

     Pink Floyd were responsible for one of the worst nights of my life. Well, I guess I was actually responsible, but I'm blaming Pink Floyd anyway. While I was at Central Michigan University, they had a movie night featuring The Wall. I loved the album, so I thought what the hell. None of my roommates or friends wanted to go, so I went by myself. So, I'm sitting in the auditorium waiting for the show to start when this stunning brunette and her friend sit next to me. The brunette, who's name I never asked, started asking me questions about the movie. Problem one was I didn't really know anything about the movie and problem two was I am pathologically shy. So, I babbled some crap about Roger Waters that I remembered from somewhere and started to watch the movie. A few minutes into the movie, she was leaning against my arm. Then a couple times during weird scenes she grabbed my arm. Unfortunately, I had zero self-confidence and made no move on her whatsoever. When it was over, all I said to her was "see ya later" and left. No name, No phone number. And the movie was horrible. I kicked myself for weeks.
     Pink Floyd have always been a polarizing band for me. When I was younger, all I knew were the songs that received radio airplay. So, that was mainly stuff from Dark Side Of The Moon, The Wall and Wish You Were Here. As I got older, I read more about the band and they seemed to be a miserable collection of d-bags. The whole episode of replacing Syd Barrett with David Gilmour is one example. Syd did have problems and probably couldn't have continued in the band, but the way they did it was cold. They essentially just stopped picking him up for gigs and were never up front with him. However, I'm conflicted because Gilmour is one of my favorite guitarists and he was key to the Pink Floyd sound. He also tried to help Syd with his solo career. And it would be a gross understatement to call their eventual breakup acrimonious. I've watched several documentaries on Pink Floyd and in interviews they come off as self-important, upper-class jerks who slag on each other. But there is no denying their musical legacy is impressive.
     Obviously, Dark Side of The Moon, Wish You Were Here and Piper At The Gates Of Dawn are all masterpieces. I would also recommend Animals. I don't own The Wall anymore, but it is a great album. I just can't stand listening to "Another Brick In The Wall, Pt 2" or "Young Lust" ever again. David Gilmour's first solo album is fantastic and features one of my favorite songs, "There's No Way Out Of Here". I also have a best of Syd Barrett CD. The songs show great promise, but they'd have been better had someone else performed them. It's sad because he could've been an amazing talent. Anyhow, let me finish with three lists that are Pink Floyd related. Peace.

Bands That Are Collections Of D-Bags

1) Metallica
2) Guns 'N' Roses
3) Van Halen / Hagar
4) Pink Floyd
5) KISS

Favorite Guitar Solos

1) Limelight- Alex Lifeson
2) Comfortably Numb- David Gilmour
3) Sweet Child O' Mine- Slash (yes, I despise G 'N' R, but this is an amazing solo)

Top Ten Favorite Pink Floyd Songs

1) Wish You Were Here
2) Comfortably Numb
3) Hey You
4) Brain Damage
5) Us And Them
6) Interstellar Overdrive
7) Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
8) Astronomy Domine
9) Arnold Layne
10) Pigs (Three Different Ones)

No comments:

Post a Comment