Monday, April 1, 2013

Foo Fighters: What Is Foo And How Do We Fight It?

     That's the title of a Foo Fighters mix tape that I made several years ago. I recently posted about Nirvana and since Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins are inducting Rush into the Rock Hall on the 18th, it seemed like a good time to do a Foo Fighters post. Let me say up front that I love the Foo Fighters, but I'm teetering on the brink of being sick of them. Here's a few reasons why.

* They are everywhere. The White House. Charity concerts. They're the token rock band for every award
   show. SNL. Rock Hall inductions. Talk shows. I think I saw Pat Smear in my backyard.

* At first I thought it was cool when they got McCartney to be Cobain in a Nirvana reunion, until it was a
   rehash of "Helter Skelter" to promote Dave Grohl's Sound City documentary.

* The Great Foo Fighters Hiatus that lasted about a month.

     Now, my wife looooooooooooooves the Foo Fighters. She was ecstatic when I told her that the long national nightmare, that was the Foo's hiatus, was over. Last night she asked me if I thought they'd go on tour again. I reminded her of when we saw them on the Wasting Light tour. It should have been called the Drunken Sausage Fest Arena Rock Tour. Thousands of drunk, former frat boys pumping their fists and vomiting. On top of that, they only played one song from the first album so they could drag out "Monkey Wrench" for fifteen minutes. Don't get me wrong, it was a great show but I wish I had seen them before they became Queen.
     Alright, enough of my whining, I just had to vent. The Foo Fighters are an amazing band who write great songs. The first album is flawless. Nothing in the world makes me happier for two minutes than "Big Me". Apparently, they stopped playing it live because they didn't enjoy being pelted by Mentos for two minutes every night. Suck it up boys, it's rock 'n' roll. I recommend that my kids start with the first album and go from there if they like it. That album also has two great under the radar tracks, "Alone + Easy Target" and "Oh, George" which is a power pop masterpiece. I also love There Is Nothing Left To Lose, which features "Learn To Fly" and "Breakout". The Colour And The Shape is good too, but I don't listen to it very often. The problem is it has two songs that I've heard too many times and can't listen to anymore; "My Hero" and "Everlong". Ironically, "Everlong" has my favorite Foo Fighter lyric: "Breathe out, so I can breathe you in".
     Just for laughs, I got out the Foo Fighters mix tape that I made to see the playlist. Here it is. Peace.

Side A: This Is A Call, I'll Stick Around, Big Me, Alone+Easy Target, Good Grief, For All The Cows, Monkey Wrench, My Poor Brain, Up In Arms, My Hero, Everlong, Walking After You

Side B: New Way Home, Breakout, Learn To Fly, Generator, Aurora, MIA, All My Life, Times Like These, Overdrive, Low
   

No comments:

Post a Comment