Saturday, March 30, 2013

Hey Blackberry, Thanks For The Tame Impala

     About a week ago, my wife and I were watching TV. In between programming and that Virgin mobile commercial with Wayne Coyne, they aired a Blackberry commercial with an awesome song. My wife commented that it sounded like John Lennon singing. So with both of our curiousities peaked, I decided to goggle the song. It was "Elephant" by Tame Impala from their recent album Lonerism. To my credit, I did know who they were because I had read the Pitchfork review and streamed Lonerism on NPR. Then a friend of mine at work asked me if I liked them. He said Lonerism was good, but had more keyboard than their first album Innerspeaker. At that point, I let Tame Impala go. Then I saw that Blackberry commercial. Blackberry probably wouldn't be thrilled to know that I don't give a rat's ass about smart phones or gadgets, but I love good music. So thanks for the Tame Impala.
     For the past few days I've been listening to their albums on Youtube and reading reviews. My friend was right that Innerspeaker rocked more and that Lonerism was more keyboard oriented. The reviews can be boiled down to the singer sounds like John Lennon and the music sounds like Syd Barrett-era Pink Floyd. I watched the video for "Elephant" and one guy was playing a John Lennon style Rickenbacher and another was playing a Hofner bass. I'm curious if they actually play those, or if it was just marketing for the video. I'm going to buy Lonerism today at work and I'm still trying to track down Innerspeaker. I'm also excited that their original EP is being released on red vinyl for Record Store Day. I'll probably do a record Store Day post, so I'll save my Tame Impala recommendations until then.
     Before I go, I thought some of you might be interested to know which Sound Mind posts have been the most viewed so far. Here's the top 5. Peace. (note: I have since added the popular posts gadget)

1) Neutral Milk Hotel- In The Aeroplane Over The Sea (thx to Christine @ WRUW)

2) Wire- Pink Flag

3) The Oasis vs. Blur Thing (especially in Spain for some reason)

4) Tobin Sprout

5) Guided by Voices 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment