Friday, March 22, 2013

KISS

     You wanted the best and you got the best...and when I was a kid they WERE the hottest band in the world. KISS were literally the perfect band at the perfect time in my life. I remember looking through records at the store and always being drawn to the KISS section, especially Destroyer. They were like comic book characters, but they were also an actual rock band. The visuals were extremely appealing to a pre-teen boy. The Spaceman. The Demon. The Cat. The Starchild. I drew their faces on every desk and notebook I had. Ace Frehley was, and still is, my favorite. However, I never asked my mom if I could have a KISS record, because I assumed she'd say no. Amazingly, when I was 12 my parents got me Alive II. I played the hell out of that record. To a young boy those songs were epic. Detroit Rock City. Love Gun. Calling Dr Love. Shock Me. Shout It Out Loud. God Of Thunder. In fact, the live version of "Detroit Rock City" is my favorite live track of all-time. I recently replaced Alive II, because it was a casualty of one of my moves.
     The other day, I was talking to a couple of my friends and one of them brought up that Cheap Trick should be in the Rock Hall. My other friend jumped in and brought up KISS. I've already posted about Cheap Trick and my love for them, but they are a long shot at best. The fact that KISS aren't in the Rock Hall is preposterous. The problem is since 1977 they have made horrible career decisions. They lost me for awhile when they made that Phantom of the Park movie. I was so stoked to see that movie. Now this is back before cable and we only had one tv in our house. I begged my dad to let me have the tv so I could watch it. And it was a debacle. I got sucked back in when it was announced that they were going to take off their makeup on MTV. I was glued to the tv when they revealed their actual faces and played the "Lick It Up" video. After the novelty of that stunt faded, they went off my radar again. Then there were the disco songs and the constant linep changes and Gene being an unlikable d-bag.  However, there is no denying their influence on rock music, even to this day.
     Not to be sexist, but I'm recommending my KISS collection to my son. I don't think my daughters would like KISS and I'm sure I don't want them listening to KISS. KISS is for young boys. I know much of their catalog is comprised of songs about getting with women, but young boys only see the makeup and theatrics. And there's no denying the power of guitar riffs and choruses that become indelibly etched in your brain forever. I also recommend that he not bother with anything after Alive II. He just turned six today though, so I'll wait a few more years before I expose him KISS. He does know who they are though because he's seen me watch them on VH1 Classic. So, I look forward to the day we get an email from his teacher because he drew Ace Frehley all over his desk. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment