Thursday, March 14, 2013

Robert Pollard: Best Non-GbV Songs

     So this post is about my favorite non-GbV songs by Robert Pollard that are in my collection. It has taken me awhile to go through everything again. Actually I'm still listening to a couple cd's while I write this. I've spent a couple posts on GbV songs already and I suggest my kids start with those. If they like GbV then they should tackle the Pollard Collection.  This post reflects my collection as of today, however, since Uncle Bob shows no signs of slowing down it will inevitably expand. I really hope at least one of my kids loves this stuff as much as I do. I previously posted about my favorite non-GbV album, Our Cubehouse Still Rocks by Boston Spaceships, so I won't go over that ground again. I tried to limit this list to the very best songs, as well as my favorite line from each song.

"Flat Beauty" (Not In My Airforce)- could have been a standout on Bee Thousand.
     - Jump up and down in your rock 'n' roll chair

"Psychic Pilot Clocks Out" (Not In My Airforce)
     - I feel life passing us by

"Pop Zeus" (Speak Kindly Of Your Local Fire Department)- Doug Gillard's guitar is awesome
     - He who shits out magic may shine

"Slick As Snails (Speak Kindly...)
     - piss away again, throwing caution to the wind, telling lies to friends
     - the imprint where you sat, dig the ripples caused by that

"Do Something Real" (Speak Kindly...)
     - you try or you don't

"And I Don't (Speak Kindly...)
     - here's what I've done for you, a life on the run, a foxhole and a gun, a roof that blocks out the
       view

"Tight Globes (Speak Kindly)
     - you didn't see me, you never see me
     - blonde machine in yellow spacecar, zip your legs in smooth rubber

"I Surround You Naked (From A Compound Eye)
     - force times distance equals far away, let's go
     This is my favorite solo Pollard song. I made my wife stay at a Pollard show long enough to
     hear this song...while she was pregnant. It's a miracle I'm still alive):

"Rud Fins" (Coast To Coast carpet of Love)
     - I went underground and I could not fly

"Weatherman And Skin Goddess" (Robert Pollard Is Off To Business)
     - yes no baby when I'm itching to work I will let you know

"The Butler Stands For us All" (The Crawling Distance)
     - if you go down on your life, I'll be there

"Symbols And Heads" (Elephant Jokes)
     - and no books say any damn thing

"New Theory" (Mars Classroom- New Theory Of Everything)- under the radar gem
     - the public's not gonna buy it, they won't understand

" Wish You Were Young" (New Theory Of Everything)
     - I don't really have a fav line, it's just a great song

"Winston's Atomic Bird" (Boston Spaceships- Brown Submarine)
     - now she's a head case with her soul re-wired

"You Satisfy Me" (Brown Submarine)
     - this gun's a frozen light gun

"Queen Of Stormy Weather" (Boston Spaceships- The Planets Are Blasted )
     - 2 miles from outta sight

"Make A Record For Lo-Life" (Boston Spaceships- Let It Beard)
     - watching head games poorly played

"Tabby And Lucy" (Let it Beard)
     - something to know, something to say, something to take my blues away

     I could have put dozens more amazing songs on this list, but my kids should do some of the work. When it comes down to nut cuttin' time, Robert Pollard is probably my favorite living songwriter. In fact, here's my list of favorite living songwriters (who are still relevent). Peace.

*Robert Pollard
*Will Johnson
*Tobin Sprout
*John K Samson
*John Darnielle

No comments:

Post a Comment