Thursday, April 4, 2013

Pavement: Wowee Zowee

     Welcome to my third post on Pavement. I mentioned before that Wowee Zowee is the Pavement album I've listened to the least. Well, except for Terror Twilight because I'm still waiting for Matador to put out the reissue. Anyhow, I've spent the past few weeks listening to it and I've come away with a few thoughts. I have also developed a new ear worm called "Serpentine Pad". I guess there are worse songs to have stuck in your head:)
     My first realization was that I seem to like Spiral Stairs' songs. I've never listened to Preston School Of Industry or any of his solo albums, but "Kennel District" is now one of my favorite Pavement songs. One of his other songs, "Date W/ Ikea" is my third favorite Pavement song. My friend Mike told me his other stuff is good, but not as good as those two songs. I think I'll have to investigate further.
     Sometimes I love an album at first listen. Sometimes I have to live with an album for awhile before it grows on me. Wowee Zowee is a grower. After multiple listens in a short period of time it doesn't seem as weird as it did when I bought it. I think I was just thrown by how different it was from Crooked Rain Crooked Rain. That was probably the point.
     Apparently, this album was a reaction to the "success" of CRCR. They probably didn't want to do an album of variations on "Cut Your Hair". Instead they did an album of songs in different styles. "We Dance" is Free Cloud David Bowie. Especially the line:  "check that expiration date man, it's later than you think". "Serpentine Pad" is like Sonic Youth's "100%". It's almost like Malkmus  challenged himself to see how many styles he could do, and do them better, but sound like he wasn't even trying. At least that's the impression I had.
     I didn't care for the bonus tracks as much in this package, but the booklet is cool. I'm glad I gave this album a second chance, because it is a rewarding listen. I doubt my kids will be as indulgent, but here's hoping.
     Just as a side note, I was listening to Sound Opinions the other day and they were listing artists who had "Grand Slams". They defined a grand slam as four masterpiece albums in a row. They proceeded to list Stevie Wonder, Led Zeppelin, Kanye West, Husker Du, Sleater-Kinney (WTF) and a few others that I forget now. Neither Pavement or R.E.M. were even mentioned. Are they kidding? I don't know if they were being contrarian or just ignorant, but really...Sleater-Kinney! Sorry, just had to vent. Peace.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment