Tuesday, March 12, 2024

1984 Deep Dive : Top 25 Songs

      So, when Tastes Like Music puts out a deep dive for a whole year of albums, they also give a top 20 songs list. I'm doing 25 though. Song lists are challenging, because often a song will chart the year after the album is released. For the purposes of my list, I am only counting songs from albums that were released in 1984. 

1. ( Don't Go Back To ) Rockville - R.E.M. 

     * I love the beginning "Looking at your watch a third time, waiting in the station for the bus." 

2. Middle of the Road - The Pretenders

     * "Don't harass me / Can't you tell / I'm going home / I'm tired as hell" 

3. What Difference Does It Make - The Smiths

     * Johnny Marr's guitar riff on this track is the best thing from 1984.

4. Do It Again - The Kinks

     * Ray Davies puts on a master class in vocal delivery.

5. Blue Jean - David Bowie

     * Tonight was not a good album, but this song is fantastic. 

6. Unsatisfied - The Replacements

     * Paul Westerberg summing up the plight of the modern man. 

7. The Unforgettable Fire - U2

     * My favorite U2 song. It's cinematic. 

8. Back on the Chain Gang - The Pretenders

     * Beautifully crafted pop song. Probably better than Middle of the Road, but I like the rockers. 

9. Smooth Operator - Sade

     * Not gonna lie. This song is like sex on a stick. 

10. Cold Shot - Stevie Ray Vaughn

     * Great riff. Great delivery. 

11. Fine, Fine Day - Tony Carey

     * Great "story" song. Another in the long line of songs about someone coming home from prison.

12. So. Central Rain - R.E.M.

     * "The wise man built his words upon the rocks, but I'm not bound to follow suit."

13. Panama - Van Halen

     * "Reach down between my legs and...ease the seat back."

14. Tinseltown - Tony Carey

     * Another great "story" song and it's a great guitar rocker.

15. Relax - Frankie Goes to Hollywood

     * Love the way this song is crafted and performed.

16. Round and Round - RATT

     * Also not gonna lie. This was my jam in 1984. That chorus is infectious.

17. Jungle Love - The Time

     * No Prince, but The Time made the list. I think he co-wrote it though.This song has a great groove. 

18. Boys of Summer - Don Henley

     * I can't stand him, but this song can't be denied. "I saw a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac"

19. Out of Touch - Hall and Oates

     * Perfect pop from the 80's hit-makers. 

20. Between the Wheels - RUSH

     * Easily the most powerful track on Grace Under Pressure. Love it. 

21. I Want You Back - Hoodoo Gurus

     * Great indie rocker. I don't know how I missed them back in the day. 

22. Pride - U2

     * Powerful and anthemic track. The Edge is in top form.

23. Are We Ourselves? - The Fixx

     * The Fixx are one of my favorite bands from the 80's. Great song. 

24. John Coltrane Stereo Blues - The Dream Syndicate

     * Tremendous guitar jam. Makes me wonder, again, why I don'r like Lou Reed.

25. I Wanna Rock - Twisted Sister

     * This was my theme song in 1984. Peace.




No comments:

Post a Comment