Thursday, May 30, 2024

1974 Deep Dive: Part Five

      Well, we've made it to the final five. It's quite a diverse group of artists and three of them were new listens. My next post will be the Top 25 Songs of 1974, then I will continue with the Guided by Voices dive. After that, probably a 2004 deep dive although I could use a break from dives. Tastes Like Music is going to be doing a Prince dive soon. I didn't plan on participating, but I could conceivably change my mind. We shall see. 

5. King Crimson - Red (4.5 Stars)

     Red picks up where Starless and Bible Black left off. It's the final album of a trilogy of albums featuring Robert Fripp on guitar, Bill Bruford on drums and John Wetton on bass and vocals which began with 1973's Lark's Tongue in Aspic. It really is almost a continuation of SABB as it includes the song "Starless", which was meant to be the title track of that album. "Starless" is a serene piece for the first four minutes. It features Ian McDonald on saxophone. He also appears on the song "One More Red Nightmare". Two years later, McDonald would become a founding member of Foreigner. At about the 4:30 mark, "Starless" becomes more menacing with the arrival of Fripp's guitar. Then, right before the eight-minute mark, it erupts into total bombast. McDonald returns with an incendiary sax solo. The title track has some phenomenal multi-track guitar by Robert Fripp. With more listens, this could get an upgrade to 5-stars and trade spots with...

4. Big Star - Radio City (5 Stars)

     I've mentioned before that I feel like a bit of a fraud ranking this record so high. I never heard of Big Star until the documentary about them came out in 2012. But in reality, hardly anyone heard Radio City when it was released in 1974. A combination of crappy distribution and a crappy record label doomed Radio City and the exquisite single, "September Gurls". With 20/20 hindsight, this album has reached the iconic status that was long overdue. Every song on Radio City is a beautiful tale of longing, loss and heartache. Even with the loss of Chris Bell, Alex Chilton managed to create a jangly, power-pop masterpiece with Andy Hummel and Jody Stephens. And seriously, "September Gurls" is the perfect pop song. Well, that and "Sparky's Dream" by Teenage Fanclub.

3. Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs (5 Stars)

     Imagine the band Cream, if Eric Clapton was replaced by Jimi Hendrix. Well, that's what Bridge of Sighs sounds like. This album blew my mind. I knew Robin Trower was supposed to be a great guitarist, but I had no idea. Right from the opening track, "Day of the Eagle", the similarity to Hendrix is apparent. The title track is a slow burning blues number with a fantastic vocal performance by singer James Dewar. The feeling of being in a desert wasteland continues into the next track, "In This Place". The Hendrix influence returns on the next song, "The Fool and Me". The hit from Bridge of Sighs was "Too Rolling Stoned". That was back when you could have a hit that clocked in at 7:30. Once again, very Hendrix-y. 

2. Richard and Linda Thompson - I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight (5 Stars)

     Jesus Christ! What a beautiful and devastating album. This is another instance of me having an unfounded bias against an album based on critical acclaim or whatever nonsense kept me from listening to it in the past. Ordinarily, I don't enjoy Irish folk music, but this has some great guitar playing, especially on "The Calvary Cross". It's hard to believe this record came out in 1974. It sounds very contemporary, like a Jason Molina album. On my first listen, I was digging Richard Thompson's singing and then Linda steps up and delivers "Withered and Died". Simply stunning. Then she tops that with her performance on the title track. "Meet me at the station, don't be late. I need to spend some money and it just won't wait". Or this line, "A couple of drunken nights rolling on the floor is just the kind of mess I'm looking for". Now I need to check out, Shoot Out the Lights. I don't know if I can though. It's apparently their breakup album. 

1. Genesis - Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (5 Stars)

     The final Genesis album with Peter Gabriel and the greatest prog album of all-time. Probably the greatest concept album as well. Gabriel is in complete control of the story of Rael and his adventures in NYC. Musically, this is Genesis at its peak. It's a testament that the second greatest prog album is the one after this, without Gabriel, A Trick of the Tail. Steve Hackett's guitar playing is inspired and Phil Collins drums like a man possessed. This is a Peter Gabriel production though and it's a masterpiece. Unfortunately, it needs to be listened to in one sitting. I can pick out some favorite songs, like the title track, "The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging", "Counting Out Time" and "Carpet Crawlers", but I never listen to Lamb unless I can sit down and play it all the way through. Oddly, I have the same policy with, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel. 

     So, next time will be the top songs. I'm going to attempt to rank them, but there's a chance I won't. When I look at my preliminary list, I don't know how I can choose between many of these songs. I realize that's a cop out and I will try to rank them. Peace.



     

No comments:

Post a Comment