Friday, May 31, 2024

1974 Top 25 Songs

      As hard as it was to come up with 25 great albums in 1974, it was harder to limit this list to 25 songs. I have no songs from my #1 album, or my #3, or my #5. Rather than laboring over my list of potential tracks, I just went instinctively in rapid fashion. The most disappointing omissions turned out to be, "Diamond Dogs", "Can't Get it Out of My Head", "Ballroom Blitz" and "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet". I guess that's not horrible, but I feel bad. I don't feel confident about my number rankings, but here we go. 

1. September Gurls - Big Star

     This is a gorgeous, perfectly crafted pop song. 

2. Rebel, Rebel - David Bowie

     Great riff, great pre-chorus. One of my favorite Bowie tracks. 

3. Fox on the Run - Sweet

     One of the songs that made me fall in love with music and record collecting. 

4. Rikki Don't Lose That Number - Steely Dan

     A languid, yacht rock classic. "Send it off in a letter to yourself". 

5. I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight - Richard and Linda Thompson

     Fantastic song of empowerment delivered magnificently by Linda Thompson.

6. Carefree Highway - Gordon Lightfoot

     His 1974 album was kind of boring, but this track is sublime. "Picking up the pieces of my sweet, shattered dream".  

7. Lady Marmalade - Labelle

     One of the great songs to incorporate French, like Psycho Killer. Seriously, this song is a bop. 

8. Fountain of Sorrow - Jackson Browne

     I already gushed about this song. Exquisite lyrics and vocals. 

9. Fracture - King Crimson

     Possibly the high point in progressive rock. 

10. Now I'm Here - Queen

     This is a Brian May composition. The arrangement is amazing. Top 5 Queen song.

11. Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me - Elton John

     Caribou is a disappointing album, but this may be my favorite Elton John performance.

12. Calvary Cross - Richard and Linda Thompson

     I can't do this song justice. Just listen to it.

13. Cosmik Debris - Frank Zappa

     My favorite Zappa song. Love the chorus. 

14. Help Me - Joni Mitchell

     A singular track by a singular artist. She has a one-of-a-kind vocal delivery. 

15. Dreamer - Supertramp

     I can't explain why I love Roger Hodgson but can't stand Frankie Valli. We are all dreamers.

16. Here Come the Warm Jets - Brian Eno

     This sounds like a lost Guided by Voices track.

17. It's Only Rock 'n' Roll - The Rolling Stones

     I wasn't a huge Stones fan as a kid, but this song always resonated with me. I like it yes, I do.

18. Nothing From Nothing - Billy Preston

     Really fun songs from the man who saved the Let it Be sessions. 

19. Killer Queen - Queen

     Extraordinarily nice! 

20. Bloody Well Right - Supertramp

     I love Rick Davies vocals on this track and the chorus is delightfully British. 

21. Bad Company - Bad Company

     I will always love this album and this song. 

22. See the Sky About to Rain - Neil Young

     Neil at his most beautiful.

23. Any Major Dude Will Tell You - Steely Dan

     "When the demon is at your door in the morning it won't be there no more".

24. Working Man - RUSH

     Thank God Donna Halper promoted this song in Cleveland and broke RUSH in the U.S.

25. They Say I'm Different - Betty Davis

     The funkiest origin story in the history of recorded music. Peace.



     

No comments:

Post a Comment