Monday, May 27, 2024

1974 Deep Dive: Part Two

      The albums from 16-20 in this deep dive are an eclectic mix. There are two albums that are considered by some to be prog (but not by me), the band that got me into record collecting, a classic rock band and the second wife of a jazz legend. Let's do this thing.

20. Supertramp - Crime of the Century (4 Stars)

     Supertramp have long been one of my favorite "hits" bands. They are in my top three bands whose name starts with Super- (the others being Superchunk and Superdrag). However, the only Supertramp album I had actually listened to, until this exercise, was the 5-star classic Breakfast in America. Turns out, Crime of the Century is a great album as well. Of course, I knew the singles "Dreamer" and "Bloody Well Right", but there are no bad tracks on this record. My least favorite is probably the other single "School", but it's not horrible. Supertramp have a singular sound. They are keyboard dominant, but Roger Hodgson sprinkles in some nice guitar work, particularly on "Bloody Well Right". The band also has two singer-songwriters; Hodgson and Rick Davies. They have quite distinct vocal styles. Hodgson, who sings on most of Supertramp's hits, operates in the Frankie Valli register. Rick Davies has a little more gravitas. He's a combination of Billy Joel and a yacht rock vocalist. On most Supertramp songs they both contribute to the vocals, or at least do some harmonizing. Supertramp made some lineup changes before Crime of the Century, and it turned out to be their breakthrough album. The main addition to the band was John Anthony Helliwell, who played clarinet, every size saxophone, and was the third keyboardist. Many consider this a prog album. To me, it's in the ballpark of E.L.O., which seems more like art pop. Whatever you call it, it's #20.

19. Procol Harum - Exotic Birds and Fruit (4 Stars)

     I have some Procol Harum in my collection, but not this one. They are considered a one-hit wonder, "Whiter Shade of Pale", but they released several albums and had at least one other hit with "Conquistador". At this point in the band's career, guitarist Robin Trower is gone, and the focus is on singer/songwriter/pianist Gary Brooker. His vocals and lyrics are really good throughout. There are a couple standout piano rockers, "The Idol" and "Butterfly Boys". The latter has some excellent guitar playing, but in general I could use more guitar on this record. 

18. Betty Davis - They Say I'm Different (4 Stars)

     This might be my favorite discovery of the deep dive. As a Miles Davis fan, I knew about Betty but never checked out this album until now. She comes right out with "Shoo-B-Doop and Cop Him" bringing the funk and attitude. "I'm gonna do it 'til the cows come home" and her background singers have her back. Mademoiselle Mabry follows that up with "He Was a Big Freak". Her vocals are passionate and raspy, and her delivery is singular in soul singing. She's not singing to show off her chops, she's standing in her power and telling her story. And the bass and drums are funkier than hell. On the title track, she lists of many of the artists that inspired her, such as Robert Johnson, Chuck Berry, Big Mama Thornton and John Lee Hooker. I'm gonna have to circle back and check out her first album when I have a chance. Nice.

17. Sweet - Desolation Boulevard (4 Stars)

     I know I'm repeating myself, but the first two 45 rpm records I bought with my own money were "Ballroom Blitz" and "Fox on the Run". In still love those songs! The rest of the album is pretty good, too. They are grouped in with Glam, but they do everything from power-pop to pub rock to metal on this album. I'm basing my inclusion of Desolation Boulevard on the UK release date of November of 1974. The US release was 1975 and "Ballroom Blitz" was actually a single in 1973. However, for the sake of these deep dives, I'm going with 1974. 

16. The Rolling Stones - It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (4 Stars)

     I've always loved the title track. I just found out that Ron Wood played on it before he actually joined the band. It also features Wood's bandmate Kenney Jones on drums, and David Bowie on backing vocals. Crazy! This album gets crapped on somewhat because it falls between Exile on Main Street and Some Girls and doesn't quite measure up to that standard. It's still great though. I like their cover of "Ain't Too Proud to Beg", as well as "If You Can't Rock Me" and "Dance Little Sister". It's only rock 'n' roll kids. Peace.



     

     

     

No comments:

Post a Comment