Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Yard Act: Where's My Utopia?

      There have been several album releases so far this year that I'm really digging; The Smile, Rosali, Friko, Ducks Ltd., Waxahatchee, Cloud Nothings and of course, Yard Act's Where's My Utopia? Their 2022 album, The Overlord, was a Mercury Prize finalist and my favorite album of the year. It was a biting commentary on Brexit and covid lockdowns and capitalism. So, how do you follow that up? You make a follow up album about making a follow up album. Where's My Utopia finds Yard Act's James Smith more introspective and reflective on success, fatherhood and his past. Musically, the band have pushed themselves with more production and grooves. Even their music videos had a running concept and plot with recurring characters. Many people I know who have listened to the album got a distinct "Gorillaz" vibe. I think that's mostly attributable to the track "The Undertow". There are several songs, such as, "We Make Hits", "Dream Job", "When the Laughter Stops" and "Petroleum" that are very much made for the dance club. 

     The pivotal track is the seven and a half minute spoken word piece, "Blackpool Illuminations". James recounts an incident from his childhood, which may or may not be true, when he went to Blackpool with his family and was injured. Toward the end we realize he's talking to his son. "Finally, I made it and for the first time, I felt truly free with my beautiful family and my dream job no longer a dream. Still now it baffles me. I attained perfection with you, I attained perfection. So why the fuck was I wondering what wankers would think of album two". In "The Undertow" he sings about the guilt of being away from his family to pursue his music career (I'm a slave to sound). The final lines of "We Make Hits" are a transition from The Overload to Where's My Utopia", "I'm still an anti- C-A-P-I-T-A-L-I-S-T. It just so happens that there's other things I happen to be. So, I'm gonna keep flinging shit until enough of it sticks. Break down the walls. And if it's not a hit, we were being ironic". 

     My favorite track is "Petroleum". It has a funky, slinky groove and the lyrics are great. "My bones burn. And the brain that's controlling them knows that the soul needs petroleum". The bass on this track is tremendous and the guitars are incendiary. Yard Act took a great leap forward on this album. I'm looking forward to seeing them this fall at The Grog Shop. Can't wait for the next album. Peace.



     

No comments:

Post a Comment