Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Guided by Voices: Mirrored Aztec ( 2020 )

     Mirrored Aztec finds Guide by Voices playing it safe. There are no high highs or low lows. Pretty much every track is in the band's wheelhouse of indie rock and pop. This may sound like a criticism, but since 2019 Guided by Voices had recorded nearly 100 songs in countless styles and fidelity levels. I'm certainly not going to begrudge them producing a quality rock album. And the absence of standout tracks does mean there aren't some really good songs here. I would also point out that the album cover's 60's concert poster vibe is a bit of a tell. Of course, there has to be one goofy song and that would be "Math Rock". However, the seeming mockery of Math Rock as a music genre is outweighed by the production values and use of a children's choir. I've been wavering on my rating for Mirrored Aztec, but I think I'm at a light 4-stars. 

     My favorite track on Mirrored Aztec is "To Keep an Area". It's a perfect power-pop song in the vein of Half-Smiles of the Decomposed era Guided by Voices. Pollard's lyrics and vocals are point, as are the guitars and drums. "Bunco Men" is another really good song. Classic Doug Gillard guitar work, at turns insistent and chiming. Another great Pollard performance, as well. The production on "Show of Hands" is top notch for a Guided by Voices track. Speaking of top notch, I love the absurdly titled, one-minute rocker, "A Whale is Top Notch". These are the kind of songs that have built the legend of Robert Pollard. Everything else on this album is solid. 

     As far as my 1974 deep dive is concerned, I am down to a hand full of jazz and fusion albums to listen to, then I can put my lists together. As of now, I have 22 albums at 4-stars and up. I'm hoping to not have any 3.5's in my top 25. The song list is going to be a nightmare. I don't know if I can give them a number ranking, but I'll try. There will be a major shakeup with my Mt. Rushmore, as well. Those Mt. Rushmores were mostly impulsive choices based on albums I already knew, so these deep dives have been an eye-opening exercise. I'm hoping to begin the 1974 series sometime this weekend. Next week at the latest. Peace.



     

     

No comments:

Post a Comment