Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The Black Angels and Other Random Stuff

     I needed some record store therapy yesterday, so I took some of the money I'd been saving for the Cheap Trick vinyl box set and headed out. I picked up three CD's and decided to lump them into one post, rather than posting on them separately.
     A few weeks ago, a co-worker asked me if I had ever heard The Black Angels. I had heard of them, but hadn't gotten around to checking them out at that time. Shortly after that, I was at the record store and saw  an orange vinyl 7" by The Black Angels that came with a download for a cover version of The Zombies "She's Not There". Needless to say, I bought it and gave away the download card because I don't do downloads:) However, I did check out the cover of "She's Not There" on You Tube. It was really good and I started to check out some of their other stuff. They sound like a British 60's psychedelic band, but they're actually from Austin. By the way, how is Austin part of Texas? Anyhow, imagine The 13th Floor Elevators, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Rod Argent's organ playing and Syd Barrett's vocals and you have The Black Angels. So, yesterday I bought their latest CD, Indigo Meadow. I highly recommend it if you are into trippy, psychedelic rock with a splash of Black Keys bombast. The standout track is "Don't Play With Guns". "War On Holiday" sounds eerily like Piper At The Gates Of Dawn Pink Floyd. I know this makes them sound  derivative, but they do manage to translate their influences into a unique sound.
     Recently, my power pop bona fides were called into question because I didn't have Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend, so I picked it up. I did buy 100% Fun when it came out, because I LOVED "Sick Of Myself", but that was the only Matthew Sweet I owned. Girlfriend is one of those albums that I've had in my hand to buy several times, but then I'd see something else and put it back. Obviously, it's a great CD and there were a few things about it that I didn't realize. I didn't recall that it was released in the epic year of 1991. 1991 is to album releases what the 1983 NFL draft class was to quarterbacks. Nevermind. Loveless. Automatic For The People. Bandwagonesque. Achtung Baby. Ten. Blood Sugar Sex Magik. In The Presence Of Greatness. And apparently Girlfriend. Speaking of Velvet Crush, I didn't know Ric Menck played drums on some of this album. One of these days I'll get around to posting about Mr. Menck.
     Finally, I stopped being a contrarian jerk and bought a used copy of Pet Sounds. Yesterday was literally the first time I've ever listened to it. It was alright and I'm sure it was ahead of it's time, but I still love the songs about surfing and cars on their early records. "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and "Sloop John B", needless to say, are amazing and I also liked "That's Not Me". However, I don't agree with McCartney that "God Only Knows" is one of the greatest songs ever written. I know it's not Brian Wilson's fault, but I also hate how lazy music critics compare every album that's not straight up vocals, guitars, drums and three chords to Pet Sounds. Is it possible to impose a moratorium on this practice?
     One more random thing, I'm going to see Toad The Wet Sprocket tonight. Look for a Toad post soon. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment