Sunday, April 20, 2014

Record Store Day 2014

     Happy Easter, if you're into that:) I do enjoy any excuse to consume mass quantities of candy; especially Cadbury Creme Eggs. That's what my kids are doing as I type. They've been up since 5:30 A.M! Sorry about the liberal use of an exclamation point grammarians, but c'mon, 5:30 A.M. Thanks Easter Bunny. I am starting a weeks vacation today, so I guess I can suck it up for the children. I considered doing some kind of Easter post with a list, but there's a possibility that Eddie Rabbit might have been involved so I scrapped that plan. I do enjoy the occasional rainy night, though.
     First, I'd like to congratulate my friend Dave on his first Record Store Day at Lucky Records in Wooster. I made the trek down to Wayne County to check it out and the place was packed. There were bands playing all day and everyone was having a great time. I picked up a Lucky Records t-shirt and Dave hooked me up with an LP of R.E.M.'s Dead Letter Office. I've been chasing that record for years. Now I have all the IRS stuff on vinyl.
     I began RSD 2014 at the Record Den. When I arrived at 7:45 A.M. there were already about 40 people in line. While that's great for the Record Den it sucked to be me. When I walked out of the store at 9:10 there was still a line of people waiting to get in. This is symptomatic of my growing problem with RSD. It's becoming like Walmart on Black Friday, except the prices are outrageously higher. However, the larger problem for me this year was the fact that the LP's I really wanted were extremely limited and regional. The prime example was Redo The Stacks by Centro-matic. If you're a regular Sound Mind reader you know how long I've waited for this album to be reissued, but they only produced 500 copies and I doubt any of them left the state of Texas. I'm sure if I were to go online today some a-hole is selling it for $150. Even something like Devo Live at Max's Kansas City was impossible to get. And I knew up front that no one would have the two Flying Nun releases, the Dunedin Double and Bored Games (featuring a young Shayne Carter). There were some things that I was on the fence about that I can probably still pick up next week because the quantities produced were greater; like Husker Du, Tame Impala, Frank Zappa and The Zombies. I did pick up a few things, but they weren't anything mind blowing. Here's the list.

* Oasis- Supersonic 12": I LOVE this song and it sounds awesome on heavyweight vinyl. There are two songs on the B-side and they're good too.

* The Cure / Dinosaur Jr- Just Like Heaven split 7": I wasn't going to get this, but I did for sentimental reasons (see my post on Neutral Milk Hotel).

* Rush / Love- 7 x 7 Is split 7": I only got this because I'm a Rush completist. Had I been able to get Centro-matic and Devo I would have held off on this, but I'm a sucker. I'm probably going to get the deluxe reissue of the first Rush album, as well, even though I already have an original copy. I need help.

* Silversun Pickups- Singles Collection: Technically this isn't a RSD release, but RSD was a good excuse to spend $40 on a Silversun Pickups boxed 7" collection. I'll discuss this more when I do a post on them in the near future. Yes, I'm an unapologetic fan of this band, thus proving I'm not a hipster. I think. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment