Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Kasabian: 48:13

     Since today marks  the U.S. release of Kasabian's new album, 48:13, I thought I'd post about my second favorite band of the 2000's. I've been a fan for a decade, so when I got on social media I began following them. I was confused by all the hype for the release of 48:13 back in June, because I could find nothing about it's release in the States. I finally broke down in August and ordered it as an import. Perhaps it's late release in America was a record label decision to coincide with their short tour of the States, but I took it as an indictment on the U.S.
     Let me preface what I'm about to say by pointing out I'm not usually a fan of things that are popular with the masses. However, how is it that Kasabian can headline Glastonbury 2014 and sellout stadiums all over the U.K. and Europe, but in the States...crickets. Kasabian were just in America and played a handful of shows at clubs like The Metro in Chicago. I just don't get it. Luckily for them, they seem to be successful enough in the rest of the world that they apparently don't need to be big in America. Selfishly, I wish they were on a 50 date U.S. tour and were playing The Quicken Loans Arena with their full show.
     Before I get to 48:13, let me backtrack a bit. My introduction to Kasabian was the use of their song "Clubfoot" in a commercial for a TV show. I don't remember the show, but I had to check out the band behind that song. At the time, my wife had a job interview in Georgetown and I tagged along. While I was killing time during her interview I happened across the Kasabian album at Barnes and Noble and picked it up. That CD is still our "go to" when we're in the car together or want to just listen to music at home. It is a perfect combination of rock and British club music. There is not one bad song and there are several standout tracks, like, "Clubfoot", "I.D.", "L.S.F. (Lost Souls Forever)", "Reason Is Treason" and "Test Transmission". If my kids decide to check out my Kasabian collection  I recommend they start with that album.
     48:13 is another strong set from the band that builds on their previous albums. Kasabian are one of those bands with a charismatic lead singer, Tom Meighan, who doesn't write the lyrics. Those duties fall to multi-instrumentalist and producer Sergio Pizzorno. At this writing, the tracks that stand out to me are "Glass" and "Stevie". "Glass" is a song about how the media tries to control us. We are urged to "turn off everything" and warned that "we are taught to watch the puppets, not the hands controlling". There's also a good class warfare rap by guest vocalist Suli Breaks. "Stevie" is about gun violence. The title character is a kid with problems who's off his med and get his hands on a gun. He's urged to resist violence and live to fight another day. Part of Kasabian's appeal is sexual energy. It's not particularly what draws me to their music, but I enjoy in the song "Bumblebee" when they sing about being in ecstasy and imploring "all you pretty things get on board this mothership". If you aren't familiar with Kasabian and you like high energy rock music with a groove check them out. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment