Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Marketing For Dummies by U2

     Let me preface this post by saying I love U2. I've loved them since "I Will Follow" and "Gloria". I knew my wife completed me when I realized I had all the 80's U2 and she had all the 90's U2. We've since spent the 2000's adding to our U2 collection. A few years ago, we finally saw them live at Spartan Stadium in East Lansing, Michigan. Over the years, I've managed to compartmentalize Bono's activism and religion and ZOOTV and (red) and everything from the music. With the release of their latest album, Songs of Innocence, I may have finally reached my breaking point on a few counts.
     I feel a bit sheepish about discussing Songs of Innocence on Sound Mind, because it's not technically in my collection...yet. However, since U2 released it for free, after getting paid up front by Apple, I'll forge ahead. Unlike many people who go out of their way to be offended, I had no problem with U2 downloading their album to iTunes at no charge to the user. U2 still have enough clout to get a company like Apple to pay them millions for digital content to, in turn, provide free to their customers. Then U2 can turn around and sell physical Cd's and LP's to old-timers like me. It was a clever plan, but no good deed goes unpunished. People in the First World have made a choice to give up countless privacy concerns for connectivity. Somewhere in the back of their minds they know they have no privacy and are being monitored, but they don't want to be reminded. It's like when you eat at a restaurant or buy food that's been canned in a factory. You know there's a certain amount of rodent hair in the can. You know there's a chance someone in the kitchen has a cold or didn't wash their hands after hitting the head. But we still eat out and we still buy processed foods. So, when a new U2 album just shows up in iTunes without their permission, they freak out and feel violated. Well, except my wife who didn't realize until I asked her about it.
     My problems with Songs of Innocence mainly revolve around the musical content. I've finally come to the realization that U2's best music is behind them. It happens to every artist if they hang around long enough; The Stones, The Who, Bowie, Neil Young, Elton John, etc... U2 are a brand now that puts out middle of the road, slickly produced music. Maybe it struck me more with this album, because of the TV commercial that featured the track "The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)". It starts out with a part of the song where The Edge is playing the only guitar riff on the whole album. Then you see images of The Ramones and The Clash. Wow, maybe this new U2 album is going to rock out. Why else would they conjure images of punk bands to promote Songs of Innocence? But no. The first time my wife listened to the album she asked, "Where's that song from the commercial"? I told her it was the first track. See, she has this annoying habit of listening to five seconds of a song and then skipping to the next one. She thought the song started with the guitar riff and, in fairness, it should have.
     Now, I'm not saying this is a horrible album. If you like their last few albums you'll like Songs of Innocence. I will probably buy the LP at some point, because I'm a completist. There are even a few high points. My favorite track is "California (There Is No End To Love)". It starts with a Brian Wilson-y bit where they repeat "Santa Barbara", then it kicks in to a nice groove propelled by Larry Mullen Jr. It's also one of the few tracks where the band doesn't retreat to the background when Bono sings. "Sleep Like A Baby Tonight" is another interesting track. Most of the song is typical U2, but at the end The Edge plays a guitar part that is very similar in style to Steven Drozd circa The Flaming Lips album The Terror. Otherwise, The Edge just sounds like The Edge.
     I know U2 don't need advice from me, but I would love to see them go into a studio for two weeks and just bash out a ragged, raw album. On some level it has to suck to carry the mantel of being "The Biggest Band In The World" for 25 years. You naturally lose your edge (pun kinda intended) and stop taking chances. Maybe they should let Foo Fighters or somebody else carry that weight and get back to the music. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment