Friday, September 9, 2022

Mt. Rushmore: Drummers

 

     I've had a long day of trying to find a hip-hop album from the 2000's to post about in an attempt to expand my musical horizons. No luck with Ludacris, The Roots or Outkast. Missy Elliott is still a possibility. Anyhow, I decided to throw together my Mt. Rushmore of drummers to feel like I did something today. It's not a typical Mt. Rushmore. These are four drummers that I feel are important for various reasons, not the four best. 

     My favorite drummer is Keith Moon. He was the heart of The Who. His style was unique and can't be duplicated. The way he and Pete Townsend played off each other was magic. Too bad he had to die before he got old.

     The best drummer was Neil Peart of RUSH. He never stopped trying to be the best, even after it was clear to everybody else. Glad I saw him multiple times. Also glad they were inducted into the Rock Hall while he was still alive. 

     The most underrated drummer is Bun E. Carlos, formerly of Cheap Trick. He's tremendous, but never got credit because he looks like an old, chain smoking accountant. He was the engine that powered Cheap Trick. If you don't believe me, go watch At Budokan. Too bad I never saw them until after he was kicked out of the band. 

     The drummer who was most important to his band is Bill Berry of R.E.M. He single-handed got the band off the ground with his connections to IRS Records and by threatening to join Love Tractor if the other guys didn't get serious. He was key to their sound and was it's most vocal defender. Just listen to the albums after he had to retire. Peace.




No comments:

Post a Comment