Saturday, September 10, 2022

Mt. Rushmore: Singers

 

     I've already spoiled my Mt. Rushmore of singers over the course of the series, but I wanted to make it official and mail in a post. Sorry, I've been very busy lately but I still want to post everyday. Generally, I don't care much about singing as a skill. I don't watch American Idol, I don't care about Mariah Carey's range and I hate opera. Even in the context of rock music I don't value the lead singer's vocal skills. I like Wayne Coyne as much as Freddie Mercury. And don't make me explain why I like Tom Petty, but can't stand Zimmerman. My top four are pretty good, though. I think what they have in common is their voices have character. I can't define it, but I know it when I hear it. Oddly, three of them are Americans and one is a Brit. I didn't rank them, so in no particular order here's my Mt. Rushmore. 

     Jay Farrar is the voice of God. It's powerful and cuts right to the soul. It puts the country in alt-country. His songs in Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt are largely about struggle and fighting to get by. His voice is a rock in a raging river that you cling to for survival. "Standing in the neutral zone, living on sleep deprivation". "Whiskey bottle over jesus, not forever, just for now". "As soon as we're out, we're kickin' our way back in". "Nothing's free in this country and there's no place to hide". So good. 

     The singer I enjoy listening to because of his voice is Jackson Browne. It's beautiful, but you can tell he has lived some real shit. "Running on Empty" is a top five song in the American Songbook. "Running into the sun, but I'm running behind". He's an artist that I only know the hits, but someday I will dig into the albums. It gives me something the look forward to. 

     I can't put a finger on what I love about Evan Dando, but The Lemonheads are my security blanket. No matter what kind of day I've had, hearing Dando's voice puts everything right. I hope his singing is as healing for him as it is for me. 

     Finally, the great Ray Davies of The Kinks. He was the most English of the British Invasion singers. He was clever and cheeky. There was so much character in songs like "Dedicated Follower of Fashion" and "Well Respected Man". "Lola" was way ahead of its time. And there was the raw power of "You Really Got Me" and "All Day and All of the Night". "Waterloo Sunset" is beautiful. "Til the End of the Day" is a rocker. My personal favorite is "Do It Again". "Standing in the middle of nowhere. Wondering how to begin. Lost between tomorrow and yesterday, between now and then. And now it's back where we started. Here we go round again. Back where we started, come on do it again". Peace. 




No comments:

Post a Comment