Thursday, November 29, 2012

Beatles Dilemma # 3

     Today I went to Record Den and bought the remastered vinyl version of Magical Mystery Tour. "What's the big deal about that you ask?". Here's the big deal; I have a sickness. In the past 35 years I have bought the Beatles catalog several times. When  they remastered the albums on CD in 2009, I bought them all individually and then when my son ripped them all up I got my parents to buy me the boxed set. I had many of the LP's when I was a kid, lost most of them, then started replacing them on used vinyl. I even have Beatles' Rock Band for Christ's sake. Now they are releasing all the remastered CD's on vinyl and I promised my wife I wouldn't buy them again. But the ineveitable has begun. Recently, I bought the restored DVD of Magical Mystery Tour after my wife begged me not to. But all I had was a janky old $9, grainy version of it, so obviously I had to get it. In my defense, I didn't buy the $400 dollar boxed set of LP's like my friend did, but I'll eventually buy most of them at some point.
     Even after McCartney's expensive divorce I'm sure he still has billions of dollars. I'm pretty sure Yoko doesn't clip coupons. Who really needs this annual money grab. Apparently, we do or they wouldn't keep doing it. The real pisser is that what fans really want is for the Let It Be footage to be released on DVD and they seem to have no interest in doing that. I'd even settle for the Beatles cartoons on DVD, even though they were pretty cheesy. At least I have no interest in the $400 Beatles pen set.
     Anyhow, I understand capitalism and the laws of supply and demand, but how about a break for a few years. I guess I just have to learn to control my completist personality. At least the new generation is being exposed to the Beatles, so it's not all bad. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment