Friday, November 9, 2012

My Other Beatles Dilemma

     As I said in my original post, the Sound Mind blog is a road map for my kids to sort through my music collection when I die. I don't know how they'll feel about most of my collection, but I know there will be fights over the Beatles stuff. Now by the time I die, someday, they may be grown up and have their own Beatles collections and it won't be a big deal. I hope that's the case, because I don't want to decide who gets what.
     At this point, I would like to officially apologize to my oldest daughter for not exposing her to the Beatles when she was little. To this day, she isn't a fan and it's one of my greatest regrets as a parent. My second daughter, whose name is also the title of a Beatles' song, is another story. When she was two years old, she was obsessed with "The Wizard of Oz" and had to watch it at least four times a day. To this day, I know every damn word of that movie. The only funny thing was she used to call the Wicked Witch the Dicked Witch. Obviously, this got old really fast and I needed a solution. One day I took her to the library and they had videotapes ( yes VHS tapes that you had to be kind and rewind) of A Hard Days Night, Help, and the Beatles' Anthology. I checked them out for me to watch and miraculously she was hooked right away. Then the Yellow Submarine was reissued and we bought that. and I bought her the McFarlane action figures for Christmas. She is still a huge fan and wrote a school paper last year about why the Beatles were better than the Rolling Stones. She got an A+. It was a very proud moment.
     In 2004, I remarried and have a daughter and son who are both Beatles fans, especially my son. They have even seen McCartney and Ringo live. My son was about 18 months old when he took over my original CD collection. At that time, they remastered the Beatles catalog and I bought them all again because he had destoyed the cases to all my old ones. I tried to keep him from destroying the new ones and it worked for awhile. But he eventually tore up the packaging of the reissues. Thankfully, my parents got me the boxed set for Christmas and I have it stashed. Now my son just has a CD case full of loose Beatles CDs but he's happy to have them. I'm happy to have the boxed set, so it's all good. I also introduced him to my Beatles records and he has actually bought a few of his own at the record store. I kind of hope that he gets my records and my second daughter gets my CDs, but I'll probably let them fight over it after I'm gone. I will have more Beatles lists and posts in the future, but I'll try to not over do it. There is no shortage of writing about the Beatles already.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment