Monday, July 25, 2022

Mt. Rushmore: 1992

 

     First of all, I appreciate anyone reading any of my ramblings on music topics. Right now I'm using this blog to develop the habit of writing and publishing something everyday. So, I've been churning these Mt. Rushmores out without really spending much time agonizing over how well written they are. Hopefully my opinions are at least interesting. !992's Mt. Rushmore is four albums that I have already posted about, albeit several years ago now. So, not too much new here, but here we go.

     Number one is my go-to album and security blanket, It's a Shame About Ray by The Lemonheads. There is nothing more comforting than the laid back vocals of Evan Dando. He would also be on my Mt. Rushmore of singers (along with Jay Farrar, Jackson Browne and someone else to be named later). This album is loaded with quick hitting gems. The title track is transcendant. One of my favorite lyrics of all-time is from "Alison's Starting to Happen" : "She's the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete". Other outstanding tracks are "Hannah and Gabi" and "The Turnpike Down", which is a chugging country rock gem. 

     Number two is Copper Blue by Sugar. Great album and I wish Bob Mould had done more Sugar releases. I saw him and Will Johnson doing a solo acoustic show before the pandemic and they were both great. Please check out my previous post for more on Copper Blue.

     Number three is Pavement's Slanted and Enchanted. 

     Number four is Propeller by Guided by Voices. Propeller is notorious for being an expensive rarity. They originally only released 500 copies of the LP with individually designed jackets. These resell for a couple thousand dollars when they become available. I have a reissue from 2005 and those also go for quite a bit online. Too bad I'm only a buyer and not a seller. The album begins with the famous "GbV, GbV, GbV" chant and then the self-deprecating line "This song does not rock". This was Pollard's hail mary to make a career in music and it was completed pass. It paved the way for the success of Bee Thousand in 1994. Check out GbV classics like "Quality of Armor", "Metal Mothers", "Exit Flagger" and "!4 Cheerleader Coldfront". 

     I forgot to mention at the top what the runner up albums were, so they are: STP Core, Gin Blossoms New Miserable Experience, Catherine Wheel Ferment, Sonic Youth Dirty and The Flaming Lips Hit to Death in the Future Head. Tomorrow is the legendary year 1991. It's going to be tough getting to a top four. It will be harder still to rank them. Looking ahead to 1990, it seems pretty weak. It's gonna be hard to scrounge up four, but I think I can. After that I will probably do some kind of recap of my number ones for the whole decade and maybe rank them. Then on to the '80's! Peace.




No comments:

Post a Comment