Sunday, July 24, 2022

Mt. Rushmores: 1993

 

      So, my list for 1993 is a number one and 11 number 2's. After much deliberation, I finally arrived at the top four. The runners up are Nivana In Utero, Blur Modern Life is Rubbish, Dinosaur Jr. Where You Been, Archers of Loaf Icky Mettle, Swervedriver Mezcal Head, Boo Radleys Giant Steps, Uncle Tupelo Anodyne and Cracker Kerosene Hat. Pretty nice honorable mention list.

     My number one is The Flaming Lips Transmissions From the Satellite Heart. Truthfully, sometimes this is my favorite Lips album. I love the Ronald Jones era with Steven Drozd on drums. Unfortunately, it only lasted for two records. The playing on this is amazing and the lyrics are surrealistic as hell. "Once in awhile the zebra runs to the spaceman and his gun in a spider's web". There's also great philosophy like "well you still gotta live 'til you die". What other band would cover "Plastic Jesus" from Cool Hand Luke? None other. The album opens with the one-two punch of "Turn it On" and "Pilot at the Queer of God" which is a rock explosion. And I haven't even mentioned their smash hit "She Don't Use Jelly". The combination of the power of the band and Wayne Coyne's fragile vocals and crazy lyrics is magic. 

     Number two is Siamese Dream by The Smashing Pumpkins. I know Billy Corgan is crazy, but this album is tremendous. Obviously, "Disarm", "Today" and "Cherub Rock" are alternative rock classics. My favorite songs are "Soma" and "Mayonaisse". They are proggy and the playing is amazing. I also have a soft spot for Corgan, because or his love for RUSH. Don't be a hater...this album is a masterpiece.

     Number three is Together Alone by Crowded House. Neil Finn is a criminally underrated songwriter and vocalist. If you ate a fan of beautiful harmonies this album is a must listen. My wife opened my eyes to the greatness of Crowded House and we are going to see them in Detroit and Pittsburgh in September. My only gripe with this album is the sequencing, I would have opened with the two best songs, "Distant Sun" and "Locked Out" and switched the last two songs. At the end of this post, I will included a video or Crowded House performing "Locked Out" on Letterman. It's possibly the best band performance on a late night show. The harmonies are exquisite.

     Finally, another great band from Oceania, MIdnight Oil's Earth and Sun and Moon. This is the last great album by the Oils and has the hits "My Country" and "Truganini". It also has the beautiful "In the Valley". Midnight Oil is now the band I am pissed isn't in the Rock Hall. They are much more than "Beds are Burning", but it is also awesome. 

     My top four in 1992 was quite easy. The only problem will be ranking them. I think I have posted on all of them. You can probably guess number one. Hint: the band name is also the name of a candy. Peace.





No comments:

Post a Comment