Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Mt. Rushmore: 1998 and 1997

      So, here's the thing. I'm combining these two years into one post because I couldn't come up with a Mt. Rushmore for 1998. As you probaly guessed, the no-brainer for '98 is In the Aeroplane Over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel. My most viewed post is on that album. I consdered albums by Mercury Rev, Sparklehorse, Hum, Beck, Beastie Boys, Outkast, Goo Goo Dolls and Lucinda Williams, but I didn't feel any of them were Mt. Rushmore worthy. Therefore, 1998 will be an Easter Island Head for Jeff Mangum and friends. 

     The good news is that the rest of the '90's is stacked; especially 95-96. 1997 isn't quite that loaded, but there is another all-timer; OK Computer by Radiohead. I've already posted about this and The Bends being my wheelhouse for Radiohead and that is all I really need from them. Since that post, I have developed a greater appreciation for Jonny Greenwood and have expanded my love for the band. In fact, I would probably put Greenwood in my top three guitarists now, along with David Gilmour and Alex Lifeson. However, I have not bought Kid A for the third time...yet. Obviously, the singles "Karma Police" and "Paranoid Android" are the standouts here. I also like how parts of "Subterranean Homesick Alien" sound like they could be from The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. I picked up the OKNOTOK LP when that came out and all the extra tracks on that release are tremendous as well. 

     Before I reveal the other three albums for '97, a quick mention to the contenders. Built to Spill got edged out again...sorry. Also missing out are Guided by Voices Mag Earwhig, Modest Mouse Crowded Lonesome West, Green Day Nimrod (although I love Redundant and Hitchin' a Ride), Pavement Brighten the Corners, The Flaming Lips Zaireeka, McCartney Flaming Pie, Harvey Danger Where Have All the Merrymakers Gone, Blur self-titled and Veruca Salt Eight Arms to Hold You. That's a pretty solid list of runners-up. The second album on the Mt. Rushmore is Ben Folds Five Wharever and Ever Amen. Ben Folds may well be my favorite piano player and bassist Robert Sledge and drummer Darren Jessee are also tremendous. The lyrics on this album are outstanding and the humor and poigniancy are cutting. I love the end of "Battle of Who Could Care Less when he says "Will you never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less? Unearned unhappiness, you're my hero I confess". "Song For the Dumped" is another standout with the line "I want my money back and don't forget to give me back my black t-shirt". Other great tracks are "Steven's Last Night in Town" and One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces" The big hit was "Brick", but as usual, the hit is not one of my favorite songs from the album. 

     The third album is Teenage Fanclub's Songs From Northern Britain. This is probably their most consistent and solid album, but doesn't have the incredible highs of Bandwagonesque or Grand Prix. I don't think I ever got around to posting about Teenage Fanclub, but they are certainly in my top 10 favorite bands. The songs I like best tend to be the ones penned by Gerard Love. He is well represented here with "Take the Long Way Round", "Speed of Light" and "Ain't That Enough". I call them the Scottish Beatles, because they have three singer/songwriters in the group. The other two are Norman Blake and Raymond McGinley. They are also in fine form here. Very solid album. 

     Finally, I'm going with Moonflower Plastic by Tobin Sprout. I have posted quite a bit about Guided by Voices and you know I love me some Tobin Sprout. This was his second solo album and it's a killer. My favorite track is "All Used Up" which has the classic line, "I did my time, I dealt my deal, you know it's alright". The song "Paper Cut" has the most exquisite chord progressions on record. "Beast of Souls" has that quintessential Tobin Sprout sound. There's also what I perceive to be a bit of a diss track on here with "Hit Junky Dives". This album came out the same time Robert Pollard disbanded the classic lineup of GbV, although Tobin had already left for personal reasons. If your not familiar with Tobin Sprout do yourself a favor and fix that. 

     So, 1996 and 1995 are extemely loaded years. I will probably do a Mt. Rushmore for the first half and second half of both those years. I haven't checked the release dates yet, so hopefully that plan works out. Otherwise, I don't know what I'm going to do. My plan going forward is to post on here every day to force myself to stop listening to my inner critic and produce content. At some point this year I also plan to go more public with my Franz Kafka projects. 2024 is the 100th anniversary of his death and I am making that my deadline to finish my book. I also haven't completely given up on a Sound Mind book someday. Peace.





No comments:

Post a Comment