Monday, April 22, 2024

1994 Top 25 Songs

      This could easily be a top 50 songs list for 1994 just with Bee Thousand and CRCR and Twice Removed, but I will stick with the parameters of the exercise. After pick #5 the rest of these rankings are more or less arbitrary. 6-25 could all be tied with each other. Going forward, I will look at 2004 and 1974 to see which year I can knock out in a couple weeks. Since I turn 60 in December, I will do something for 1964 at that time. 

25. Black Hole Sun - Soundgarden

       The vibe and lyrics of this song are the perfect representation of Grunge. 

24. Natural Grace - Ride

       Beautiful pop gem. Britpop meets The Byrds.

23. Big Dipper - Built to Spill

       This song has a great, hooky chorus and reminds me of childhood. 

22. We Are the Pigs - Suede

       Britpop meets Queensryche meets Mancini.

21. Spoonman - Soundgarden

       That opening riff is phenomenal. "Steal the rhythm while you can".

20. What's the Frequency, Kenneth? - R.E.M.

       "I never understood. Don't fuck with me". Probably the last great R.E.M. song.

19. Wow and Flutter - Stereolab

       Great vibe, chorus and bleeps and bloops. 

18. She - Green Day

       Had a hard time getting down to one track from Dookie. Ask me again tomorrow.

17. Queen of Cans and Jars - Guided by Voices

       "To see the light and try but fail on jagged seas that can't be sailed". 

16. Sunshine Country - Victoria Williams

       Americana on a stick. Love it!

15. Silence Kit - Pavement

       The song that defines slacker rock. The opening riff is perfection.

14. Penpals - Sloan

       The best song on Twice Removed. Could be four more songs on this list. Sorry guys.

13. Unglued - Stone Temple Pilots

       The same with Purple. Maybe I should've done a top 50 list. 

12. Fell on Black Days - Soundgarden

       My favorite track on Superunknown. 

11. Hardcore UFO's - Guided by Voices

       Possibly my favorite Pollard lyrics.

10. X - Bailter Space

       Muscular power pop from New Zealand. It's Rickenbacker-tastic!

9. Buddy Holly - Weezer

       Easily a top 3 music video. Exquisite song.

8. Something's Always Wrong - Toad the  Wet Sprocket

       "Another day I called and didn't speak". 

7. Seether - Veruca Salt

       Can't fight the seether...you can only hope to contain it. 

6. Cut Your Hair - Pavement

       A stinging indictment of the music industry. "Songs mean a lot when songs are bought and so are you"

5. Loser - Beck

       The lyrics are fantastic. Get crazy with the Cheez Whiz!

4. Sabotage - Beastie Boys

       Great jam! Apparently it was about a producer that they really hated. 

3. Headache - Frank Black

       "My heart's crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound".

2. Parklife - Blur

       The most British song ever. Brilliant!

1. Supersonic - Oasis

       "You need to find a way for what you want to say, but before tomorrow". 

     I'm trying to think of a video from this list that i haven't posted on here before. Got it. Peace.



       

No comments:

Post a Comment