Monday, April 22, 2024

2024 Rock Hall Inductees

      Alright, let's do this thing. I mentioned before that apart from The White Stripes, Midnight Oil, Crowded House and a few 90's acts everyone who belongs in the Rock Hall is in the Rock Hall. I don't recall any clamoring for any of these new inductees anywhere. I'm happy for their fans, but the Rock Hall has been watered down even more. It gets harder to argue with people who hate the Rock Hall or want to change it to the Music Hall. I still love the Rock Hall, but the actual Rock Hall foundation is problematic. And then this year they did an end around to induct extra artists because they died. Hopefully they aren't setting a precedent with that move. Anyhow, here are my thoughts on the inductees, in alphabetical order. 

MARY J. BLIGE - I'm sure she's a great singer, but I literally don't know any of her songs or albums.

CHER - Watched Sonny and Cher when I was a kid. My sister had the Cher doll. Cher married a bunch of weird dudes. I know a handful of her songs and don't care for them. 

DAVE MATTHEWS BAND - I don't like DMB, Dave's vocal stylings or his fanbase. Sorry, not sorry.

FOREIGNER: I love the first four albums. Lou Gramm is a great singer. That said, they are borderline Rock Hall material at best. 

PETER FRAMPTON - Phenomenal guitarist, master of the vocoder and childhood friend of David Bowie. Got in mostly on the strength of a live album, but so did Cheap Trick, so congratulations Mr, Frampton. 

KOOL AND THE GANG - Sure, why not. They had some hits.

OZZY - I voted for Ozzy, but his solo career is borderline as well. Those Randy Rhoads album are fantastic, but downhill after that. His induction speech should be epic...if you can understand him.

A TRIBE CALLED QUEST - Oddly enough, with all the blow back the Rock Hall gets for inducting rap artists, I think ATCQ was the most deserving group in this bunch of nominees. 

     The three artists who will be inducted for "musical excellence", even though they weren't nominated, are Jimmy Buffett, Dionne Warwick and the MC5. Meh. Whatever. I had the single of "Cheeseburger in Paradise" when I was a kid. This just reminds me that they waited until Chris Squire was dead to induct YES. But hey, congratulations Parrotheads. I wish I was in Key West to celebrate your victory. Peace.








No comments:

Post a Comment