Sunday, December 23, 2012

Duran Duran and Other Guilty Pleasures

     I have taken my wife to see Duran Duran twice. She's a huge fan and was even in a Duran Duran fan club when she was a kid. I tell people that I've seen them because of my wife, but secretly I'm a fan too. This admission may cost me my Man Card but it's true. I love their music. Hungry Like the Wolf. Rio. Wild Boys. The Reflex. Notorious. I played saxophone during the height of their popularity, so I especially liked Rio for the sax solo. This is probably a good time for my list of favorite sax songs.

     * Rio
     * Baker Street
     * Careless Whisper (yes, the Wham song- sorry)
     * Who Can It Be Now?
     * Take Me Home Tonight

     As long as I'm admitting that I like Duran Duran and Careless Whisper, I might as well spill ALL my guilty pleasures. Alright, here we go:

1) Duran Duran
2) Hall and Oates
         Yes, I love Daryl Hall's blue-eyed soul and the awesomeness of Oates' mustache. There's a
         great book called "Rock and Roll Cage Match" edited by Sean Manning. It has an essay by
         Michael Showalter entitled Hall & Oates vs. Simon & Garfunkel which is hilarious and Hall
         and Oates win.
3) Culture Club
         I didn't really know what to make of Boy George when I was in high school. I'd never seen a
         guy done up like that in rural Michigan. However, he has a tremendous voice and I love that
         "Time won't give me time" song.
4) Big Time Rush
         We took our kids to see BTR in Detroit in February for our daughter's birthday (the opener was
         One Direction, so I've seen them too). I have to admit I think the TV show is really funny and
         their music is alright for a boy band.
5) Hand Clap Songs
         I firmly believe there is no song that could not be improved with hand claps. I promised awhile
         ago to give my list of favorite hand clap songs, so Ix guess now is a good time. My friend
         requested B-I-N-G-O, but it didn't quite make the cut.

         * Hey Ya- Outkast
         * Pump It- Black Eyed Peas ( by the way, love Dick Dale's Miserlou)
         * Let's Go- The Cars
         * Good Thing- Fine Young Cannibals
         * What I Like About You- The Romantics
         * Private Eyes- Hall and Oates
         * My Valuable Hunting Knife- GbV ( the video version)
         * Class Clown Spots A Ufo- GbV
         * S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y Night- Bay City Rollers
         * We Will Rock You- Queen
         * Hurt So Good- John Mellencamp
         * No Matter What- Badfinger
         * Blister in the Sun- Violent Femmes
         * Calling Thermatico-Centro-matic

         I'll probably think of 20 more later, but that's a good start. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment