Monday, December 10, 2012

Guided by Voices 2012

     As we approach the end of another prolific year for Robert Pollard, I thought I'd post about the three GbV albums released in 2012. My second post was a list of the Top 100 GbV songs of all-time and rather than ammend that list, I'll make a separate list. This list will be the songs from Let's Go Eat the Factory, Class Clown Spots A UFO and The Bears For Lunch that I feel belong in the GbV canon. Before I do that, I'd like to share my opinion on Pollard's prolific output. Most critics fall into one of two camps; those who disparage him for his output and those who are patronising about it. My feeling is that it's not Pollard's job to decide which songs are worthy of release and which aren't. He should be free to release every song he writes and then we're all free to decide which ones we like.
     So, this year Robert Pollard decided to record as GbV after breaking up the band in 2004. He got the classic 90's lineup(Tobin Sprout, Mitch Mitchell,Kevin Fennell plus Greg Demos) back together for a Matador Records anniversary show, toured for awhile, then started recording again. Their 2012 albums more or less pick up where they left off after Under the Bushes, Under the Stars. Some great power pop songs, some flat out rockers, some classic Tobin Sprout popcraft and some clunkers. In short, Guided by Voices albums. When I listened to them as they were released, I was sort of lukewarm; especially with Class Clown Spots A UFO. The past couple weeks I've been listening to all three in my car on a rotating basis. After living with them for a fortnight I actually love all three albums and I'm looking forward to 2013. Their 2012 releases have a total of 61 songs and I have 20 of them on my list. That's a pretty good batting average.

Let's Go Eat the Factory
     * Laundry & Lasers
     * The Unsinkable Fats Domino (check out the Youtube video of their performance on Letterman
        where spastic bassist Greg Demos falls down during the song)
     * Doughnut For A Snowman
     * Waves (Tobin Sprout)
     * Chocolate Boy (favorite song on this album)

Class Clown Spots A UFO
     * He Rises! Our Union Bellboy
     * Class Clown Spots A UFO (instant classic handclap song)
     * Roll of the Dice, Kick in the Head/ Billy Wire (they are separate songs but they sound
        awesome together like Auditorium / Motor away)
     * Starfire (Tobin Sprout)
     * All of This Will Go (classic Tobin Sprout)
     * Be Impeccable
     * Jon the Croc

The Bears For Lunch
     * King Arthur the Red (best opening track of the 3 albums)
     * Hangover Child
     * The Challenge is Much More
     * Waving at Airplanes (Tobin Sprout)
     * White Flag (favorite song on this album)
     * Skin to Skin Combat (Tobin Sprout)
     * She Lives in an Airport (good song with preposterous lyrics)
     * Everywhere is Miles From Everywhere

     Here's a bonus list of great song titles:
     * Who Invented the Sun
     * Cyclone Utilities(Remember Your Birthday)
     * The Big Hat and Toy Show
     * Blue Babbleships Bay
     * Dome Rust
     * The Military School Dance Dismissal
     * Amorphous Surprise

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment