Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Power Pop

     It can be argued (at least by me) that the Who's greatest contribution to rock music was not the rock opera, but rather Power Pop. Pete Townshend coined the term and he and his bandmates were it's greatest practitioners in the mid-60's. The combination of Townshend's power chords and Keith Moon's aggressive drumming style created the template that would be followed by hundreds of bands. The songs are timeless classics; I Can't Explain, My Generation, The Kids Are Alright, Pictures of Lily, Substitute and Anyway,Anyhow,Anywhere  just to name a few. A Power Pop song is typically short with a hooky chorus, insistent drumming and power chord progressions.


     Power Pop has gone in and out of style over the decades. In the 70's there was Todd Rundgren, Big Star and Cheap Trick. The 80's gave us The Romantics, The Knack and the Cars. Since the 90's there have been great bands like Teenage Fanclub, Fountains of Wayne and Guided by Voices. My music collection is loaded with Power Pop goodness and I hope my kids enjoy it. Here are lists of my favorite Power Pop songs and albums to give them some guidance.

* The Kids Are Alright- The Who
* All Day and All of the Night- The Kinks
* Go All the Way- The Raspberries
* Couldn't I Just Tell You- Todd Rundgren
* September Gurls- Big Star
* Come On, Come On- Cheap Trick(Live)
* What I Like About You- The Romantics
* My Sharona- The Knack
* Jenny, Jenny(867-5309)- Tommy Tutone
* My Mistake- The Kingbees
* My Best Friend's Girl- The Cars
* Sparky's Dream- Teenage Fanclub
* Star Sign- Teenage Fanclub
* Radiation Vibe- Fountains of Wayne
* Chasing Heather Crazy- GbV
* Blood and Roses- Smithereens
* The Good in Everyone- Sloan

* Under the Bushes, Under the Stars- GbV
* Grand Prix- Teenage Fanclub
* Heaven Tonight- Cheap Trick
* Fountains of Wayne- Fountains of Wayne
* Ultimate Collection- The Who
* The Cars- The Cars
* Get the Knack- The Knack
* Live at Budokan- Cheap Trick
* It's a Shame About Ray- The Lemonheads
* New Miserable Experience- Gin Blossoms
* You Hear Me- Tommy Keene
* Love Junk- The Pursuit of Happiness
* The Romantics- The Romantics
* Candy-O- The Cars
* Something/Anything- Todd Rundgren

     That oughtta be a good start. Peace.


    

2 comments:

  1. Love the list of song. Surveys really are very important fact of finding the best songs of all time. Great idea!like a <a href="http://www.almostsuperhuman.com/book.php>superhuman!</a> LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, I check your new stuff like every week. Your story-telling style is witty, keep doing what you're doing!
    Also visit my blog post : the 2012

    ReplyDelete