Friday, February 8, 2013

45 RPM Collection

     I don't know what it is I like about the 7", 45 RPM record, but I like it a lot. When I went to the store with my mom as a kid, she always let me get a 45. I had one of those record players where the turntable folded up and down and it had a cartridge for playing 45's. I would keep reloading the cartridge with records and listen for hours. The 7" single has survived cassette singles and are still being made in the age of digital downloads. I still have many 45's in my collection, but many were chipped or cracked or warped or lost. One of my goals is to replace as many as I can find. Maybe I can get the guy at The Record Den to give me a bulk rate.  This post will consist of three lists: a list of recommendations from my 45 collection for my kids, a list of 45's I used to have and wish I still did and a list of 45's in my collection that are just cool to have. Peace.

Recommendations
     * Milkshake- Yuck
     * Steppin' Stone- The Monkees
     * I Want To Hold Your Hand- Beatles
     * Rain/Paperback Writer- Beatles
     * In A Big Country- Big Country
     * Radio Free Europe- R.E.M.
     * Paperlate- Genesis
     * Is She Really Going Out With Him?- Joe Jackson
     * Blue Jean- David Bowie
     * Good Thing- Fine Young Cannibals
     * Hippy Hippy Shake- Georgia Satellites
     * Wild Wild West- Escape Club
     * Roxanne- The Police
     * Heartbreak Beat- Psychedlic Furs
     * Fall Down- Toad The Wet Sprocket
     * Hold The Line- Toto
     * Baker Street- Gerry Rafferty

Wish I Still Had
     * King Tut- Steve Martin
     * Another One Bites The Dust- Memebers of the Detroit Lions after 4-0 start
     * Bohemian Rhapsody- Queen (thought I still had it but I don't)
     * You're My Best Friend- Queen (Ditto)
     * Lido Shuffle- Boz Scaggs (awesome song)
     * Sweet Talkin' Woman-ELO (it was purple vinyl and my sister broke it)

Just Cool
     * Borderline- Flaming Lips (Madonna cover)
     * Near To You- Teenage Fanclub w/ Jad Fair
     * Do You Realize?- Flaming Lips (picture disc)
     * Change of Heart- Tom Petty & HBs (red vinyl)
     * Caravan/BU2B- Rush (white vinyl)
     * Record Store Day singles- R.E.M.
     * Georgia- Yuck
     * Batman Theme- Revengers
     * Hang You From The Heavens- Dead Weather

No comments:

Post a Comment