Thursday, February 21, 2013

33 1/3 Series Albums

     33 1/3 is a series of books written about important albums. I've mentioned them a few times in previous posts, such as, Neutral Milk Hotel and Wire. I'm a huge fan of the series. In fact, I used to carry a copy of all 86 titles where I work. They sold pretty well, but I had to stop because they took up too much space and people kept stealing them. They cover a broad range of artists from Dusty Springfield to Nas to Black Sabbath. Until recently, they had a policy of one album per artist. The exceptions are Radiohead (OK Computer and Kid A) and the Rolling Stones (Exile on Main Street and Some Girls). I have an arbitrary policy that I can only buy the book if I already own the album. Don't ask why, I'm just weird. Anyhow, I thought I'd write about the ones that I have. If you're interested in the series, they have a website, 333sound.com.

#6 Piper At The Gates Of Dawn- Pink Floyd by John Cavanagh
     This was Pink Floyd's debut album that featured Syd Barrett. The lyrics are trippy and the music is
     powerfully psychedelic. Standout tracks include "Astronomy Domine", "Lucifer Sam" and
     "Interstellar Overdrive". The book is good , because it focuses on the album and interviews with
     key people, rather than being another book about Syd going mad.

#12 Let It Be- The Beatles by Steve Matteo
     I love this album, because it's the sound of a band that's about to break up. It's a miracle that
     they recorded Abbey Road after this. The book is interesting because he talks about 500 hours of
     Let It Be footage being found in 2003. I hope someday it will be released.

# 15 OK Computer- Radiohead by Dai Griffiths
     I just realized that I still haven't read the book. Maybe I'll read it tonight. I will post about
     Radiohead in the future, so no spoilers today.

#22 Murmur- R.E.M. by J. Niimi
     This is one of my favorite books in the series. I already posted about R.E.M. and my love of their
     first five albums.

#29 In The Aeroplane Over The Sea- Neutral Milk Hotel by Kim Cooper
     I have posted previously about this album and this is my absolute favorite book in the series.
     It's interesting that this is the best selling title in the series and it's also my most viewed post.

#36 Loveless- My Bloody Valentine by Mike McGonigal
     Another album I've already posted about. The book is good.

#38 Bee Thousand- Guided by Voices by Marc Woodworth
     The book is very interesting. My favorite part was when he discussed Pollard's use of collage
     as an artist as well as in his lyric writing.

#62 Pink Flag- Wire by Wilson Neate
     The book is fantastic and I've already posted about the album.

#68 Zaireeka- Flaming Lips by Mark Richardson
     The book is good, but of all their albums why this one? Maybe I'm just bitter because I don't have
     enough friends to do a Zaireeka listening party. By the way, this album is coming out on vinyl
     on Record Store Day.

#72 Wowee Zowee- Pavement by Bryan Charles
     Probably my second favorite book in the series. Once again, I plan on posting about Pavement in
     the future, but here's one spoiler; it will be a series of posts. Peace.

    

    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment