Saturday, February 23, 2013

Radiohead: The Bends And OK Computer

     Radiohead have become The Beatles of alternative rock. Whenever polls are taken or lists compiled for the best albums of this era, the top ten is usually dominated by Radiohead. The Bends. OK Computer. Kid A. Amnesiac. Hail To The Thief. In Rainbows. It's like everytime Rolling Stone puts out a list of the greatest albums of all-time, the top ten is predominantly The Beatles. Most of you probably assume that I'm a Radiohead fan based on the music I like. So, I hope what I'm about to say doesn't bring down the wrath of Radiohead Nation, but I don't get it. I'm not saying I hate Radiohead. The Bends is a flawless album and OK Computer is a masterpiece. Had they gone all Jeff Mangum after OK Computer and never recorded again, they would be legendary. But Kid A has the distinction of being the only cd I've bought twice and gotten rid of twice. I know it's supposed to be amazing, but I just can't wrap my head around it. The only good thing I can say about Amnesiac is that I like the Flaming Lips cover of "Knives Out". To me, everything they've done since OK Computer is uninteresting and unlistenable. I'm not trying to be a contrarian a-hole, that's just my opinion.
     I encourage my kids to listen to The Bends and OK Computer. The Bends is perfect from the first note to the last. If I were forced to single out a few tracks, I'd say "The Bends", "Fake Plastic Trees", "Bones", "Just" and "My Iron Lung". "Bones" is my favorite Radiohead song. It sounds like U2, but with a three guitar attack. The two singles from OK Computer, "Karma Police" and "Paranoid Android" are both stellar tracks. "Paranoid Android" has one of my favorite lines; When I am King you will be first against the wall. Ouch! The problem with OK Computer is how do you follow it up. It's like they said in "The Bends"; where do we go from here? the words are coming out all weird. I respect what they were trying to do with Kid A, but I don't enjoy listening to it.


     I've never listened to Pablo Honey, so the only song I know is the hit single "Creep". I kinda liked it at the time, but I could probably add it to my list of songs I never want to hear again. It's funny how alternative bands have hits with songs that aren't representative of their other work. In fact, here's a list of alternative hits that aren't representative. Peace.

1) Creep- Radiohead
2) She Don't Use Jelly- Flaming Lips
3) Float On- Modest Mouse
4) Here Comes Your Man- The Pixies
5) Wake Up Boo- Boo Radleys
    

No comments:

Post a Comment