Thursday, May 9, 2013

John Lennon: Legend

     John Lennon is my favorite Beatle. His songs are, by and large, my favorite Beatle's songs. Rain. I Am The Walrus. Ticket To Ride. Strawberry Fields Forever. And Your Bird Can Sing. Help. Nowhere Man. In one of my college courses, we were assigned to write about the person we most admired. I chose John Lennon. I can still remember how numb I felt when I woke up on December 9th, 1980, and my dad told me John Lennon was dead. It was unreal. Why would someone murder John Lennon? His death struck me harder than those of my own family members. So, why is it that I have no proper John Lennon albums in my collection? I did have Double Fantasy on cassette, but I don't have it anymore and it was half Yoko. All I have is the best of collection, Lennon Legend, which my wife bought for me.
     I think the main reason is the quality of his songwriting on his solo albums paled in comparison to that of his Beatles years. Obviously, he wrote some amazing songs as a solo artist. I'm moved every time I listen to "Jealous Guy". His vocals are fragile and vulnerable. I love the opening line: "I was dreaming of the past, and my heart was beating fast". My favorite John Lennon song is the brutal "Working Class Hero". A few years prior to writing this song, he was an idealist singing all we need is love. "Working Class Hero" was based in the hard truth of reality. The line that really speaks to me is, "keep you doped with religion and sex and tv". That's how I knew the 99% movement was doomed to fail. The vast majority of people are too "doped" to rise up from watching "American Idol" to demand any kind of social change. And I'm as guilty as everyone else. I thought about posting the entire lyrics to "Working Class Hero", but I decided to go with the highlights instead.
* As soon as you're born they make you feel small, by giving you no time instead of it all.
*They hate you if you're clever and they despise a fool.
*There's room at the top they're telling you still, but first you must learn how to smile as you kill.
*Keep you doped on religion and sex and tv. And you think you're so clever and classless and free. But you're still f-ing peasants as far as I can see.

I even like "Nobody Told Me", which is just a goofy little song. I always laugh to myself when he says, "Most peculiar mama".
     That, however, pretty much ends the list of Lennon songs that I put on a par with The Beatles. When I was younger, I thought "Imagine" was one of the best songs of all-time. Now that I'm older, I find it absurd. Yes, it would be great if there were no countries or religion dividing us, but come on. And "Power To The People" and "Give Peace A Chance" have nowhere near the impact of "Working Class Hero". I guess my main hang up with Lennon's solo catalog is it's too personal and cathartic. I understand he went through a bitter breakup with The Beatles and had personal demons to deal with, but I don't particularly want to listen to therapy. What I loved about his songwriting was his surreal, elliptical lyrics. That style is largely absent on his solo albums. A few years ago, when they reissued those albums, I seriously considered buying them. In the end, I decided I was good with Lennon Legend and my Beatles collection. So far, my kids haven't shown much interest in the Beatles' solo material, but I recommend they listen to Lennon Legend. Maybe some day, I'll put aside my feelings about the break up and Yoko and give his solo albums a chance. Peace.

   

     

No comments:

Post a Comment