Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Guided by Voices: English Little League

      I'm confused. I've already read several reviews of GbV's latest album, English Little League, and most have been dismissive. They usually begin with the obligatory scorekeeping of how many albums they've put out since reforming. Then they claim that the ratio of hits to misses has been 50-50, at best. Now, I've listened to a metric shit ton of Guided by Voices (and solo and side projects) over the past ten years and I feel the quality of their recent releases has been quite high. I suggest these reviewers spend some time listening to Pollard's Circus Devils albums or the Suitcases and then come back and listen to ELL. It will sound like Pet Sounds after that. I understand if you're not in the cult of Pollard ELL could be considered a haphazard release. To me, they seem to be hitting their stride and I hope they keep it in motion:)
     English Little League has all the hallmarks of a good GbV album. Album cover collage. Check. Awesome song titles, such as, "Xeno Pariah", "Trashcan Full Of Nails", "Crybaby 4 Star Hotel", "Biographer Seahorse"   and "Taciturn Cave". Check. A couple Tobin Sprout gems. Check. A couple turds like "Sir Garlic Breath" and "Reflections In A Metal Whistle". Check. Where's the problem? Out of 17 songs I count two clunkers, a handful of gems and a bunch of solid rockers. I'd say that's a pretty good batting average. Just for full disclosure, I bought the "Noble Insect" and "Islands" 7"'s and the B-sides are below average. As far as songs that could take a place of prominence in the GbV canon, here's my list.

1) Xeno Pariah- It starts out with jangly guitars and harmonies, then breaks out into a power pop gem.

2) Islands (She Talks In Rainbows)- One of Tobin Sprout's best songs since his Moonflower Plastic album.

3) Send To Celeste- One of those raise your lighter (or cell phone) Pollard anthems.

4) Flunky Minnows- Classic line "everything is wonderful and microscopes are fun". Great GbV single.

5) Birds- It starts out like a Tobin song, but it's a great Revolver-esque Pollard song.

6) Taciturn Cave- Classic Pollard proggy bombast.

7) W/ Glass In Foot- Just a great straight up rocker to close out the festivities.

     The song "Trashcan Full Of Nails" reminds me of something funny that happened at work. My friend and I will sometimes try to come up with possible Pollard song titles when we're bored. One day, there was a car in the parking lot with it's trunk popped open. Inside the trunk were a bunch of shotguns. There was no incident, but we had some freaked out customers. Anyhow, when I was telling my friend about it, I came up with a Pollard song for the occasion called "Carload Of Shotguns". I came up with the beginning lyrics, but never finished it. The lyrics were " Got a carload of shotguns, double barreled hot fun". Maybe I'll try to finish it one of these days.
     I feel bad for my kids having to wade through all my Pollard and Sprout when they inherit my collection. By then it will be exponentially more than it is now. I think I need to start exposing them soon and hopefully it will take with one of them. Peace.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment