Thursday, May 30, 2013

Cheatahs: Extended Plays

     Apparently I'm in a musical rut. I keep gravitating toward new bands that sound like 90's indie bands. The most recent is a fantastic band called Cheatahs. Cheatahs are a UK band, however singer, guitarist Martin Hewitt is a transplanted Canadian. After repeated listens, I'm fairly certain  Hewitt loves Mezcal Head by Swervedriver. So do I, so it's all good. He has a similar vocal style of holding a word for several beats during the chorus and the guitars are also quite similar. That's not to say they're derivative. My favorite song, "Jacobi", is an excellent pop song that sounds nothing like Swervedriver.  Extended Plays is technically not an actual album. It's comprised of two EP's that were released in 2012, Coared and Sans. There really isn't a bad song on this CD, but unfortunately there are only eight with a running time of 26 minutes. Hopefully they're working on a follow-up album. The songs "The Swan", "Sans", "Coared" and "Froshed" are all indebted to Swervedriver. My second favorite song, "Flake" sounds inspired by Dinosaur Jr. Extended Plays is by far my favorite CD of 2013, so far. I strongly recommend it and look forward to their next release.
     In related news about bands that sound like 90's bands, Sound Mind favorites Yuck have lost singer, guitarist Daniel Blumberg. He has left to pursue a new project called Hebronix. This came as horrible news, but Yuck plan on continuing their next album without him. Even though this is personally disappointing, I wish success to everyone involved. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment